Chapter 19 - No Words

The sound of the cinnamon water simmering on the stove fills the quiet air in the house as I enter it. I slowly walk into his dinning room that still was taken over by the long glossy table. I take a seat and place the tray on the wood. He stops in the doorway to lean on it, crossing his legs and arms.

I watch him for a long moment then speak, “Are you going to come over here?”

I can’t make out much of his facial expression because of the dull lighting of the house, but I knew by the way he was acting something was wrong. He slowly makes his way to the table and takes a seat right in front of me. He grabs one of the teas and cups it in his hands. Taking a light sip of it, he lets his eyes close and take in the smooth chamomile taste. A small smile spreads across his lips as his sapphire eyes meet mine.

“Did you microwave this?” He asks, placing the mug in his lap.

My eyes shift as I think this over. “Yeah. Why?”

“It tastes different than when you kettle it. The kettle gives you the taste of the metal its simmered in. A more relaxing taste if you ask me.”

My face falls as I try to understand his stupid reasoning. He takes another sip. “It's really good though. Thanks…”

I nod and look to the tray, the steam still rises from the liquid, warming the air.

“So,” He still holds the mug to his lips. “How are you?”

I shake my head, is he really trying to make small talk with me? I know something is wrong with him! I’m not going to act as if I don’t recognize.

“What’s wrong?” I mildly ask him, looking to the ground as I speak.

I can tell his hesitance on speaking so I look to him, hoping to calm his jarring nerves. He bites the side if his cheek and places the mug on the table, after, leaning in closer to me. He takes a breath as if he’s about to say something but he stops. He continues to bite his lip without speaking. I wished to grab his hands, to throw myself at him and hug him. To tell him everything that was inside me to make him feel better. But…I’m not a good comforter. I never was and never will be. So I just watch as he struggles with his words.

“Grace…” He pauses. “Just came here…to tell me she found someone else.”

I can tell that these words were hard for him to say, his voice was even pained. “She spent all week here because she was afraid of what I would do when I found out. She…” He looks to me. “She played me.”

The agony behind his eyes threw my heart into a jumble of feelings. I did feel bad for him, but then there was the selfish side of me that reminded me what he had done to me. But the pain took me over.

“How….could she do that to you?” I whisper, leaning in close to him too.

He lightly shakes his head and looks between his legs to the ground. “We had been together for two years and once I leave she finds someone else in a matter of weeks.”

“That’s…wrong.” I mutter, shaking my head too.

He swallows and looks to me, catching my steady breathing off guard. “Rose…why are you here?” He questions me.

I fumble with my words in my head before I speak them. “I just knew something was wrong. So I came to see if you’re alright.” I tell him this while playing with a strand of hair that fell out of my sloppy bun.

He then grasps one of my hands into his. I want to yank it away, but I convince myself not to. He wasn’t going to hurt me. His palms were clammy and weak, just as his emotions were.

I wanted nothing more than to hold them tighter and tell him that it was going to be alright.

I take a deep gulp before talking. “Well, to tell you the truth, Lou. Through our lives…there’s going to be people who hurt us. Who cut us into shreds then trample over us. But the key to it…is finding those who are worth suffering for. My parents have been through so much in their relationship. But their still close friends and mates.”

He smirks at my words and nods at me. “Words of wisdom ey Rose bud?”

I lightly smile back. “Just…words to remember.”

I think he got my message. It tied in to both his sadness and mine. I forgave him for what he had done, and I think he understands he should move on from Grace. He’s too good for her.

“Thanks babe.” He smiles at me, still holding my hands in his.

“There’s no reason to-”

“Just…thanks.” He interrupts me.

He then stands and grabs the mug in his hand, he looks to me.

“Come with me?” He throws out a inviting hand to me.

I look at it, studying the lines in his palms. “Where are we going now?” I smile.

“To the roof. Will you come?”

I nod and slide my hand into his, grabbing a mug of tea before following him up the stairs. I loved the way our hands fit, as if they were molded to be one. His was slightly bigger than mine, so his whole hand wrapped protectively around mine. I longed to feel his fingers between my own.

He then safely got me onto the roof with him and we lay there, watching the starts shine and the city lights pollute the air. The quiet that spread across us wasn’t awkward as it usually was for me, it was a calm, sweet quiet that made me smile. I could still tell he was pained by the memory of Grace. Every once and a while his steady breaths become a exhausted, overwhelmed sigh. Nothing else could fill my thoughts but his pain.

The words flow from my mouth. “Listen Lou, Grace-”

“Can we not talk about that please?” He sharply interrupts me.

My eyes grow wide at his snappy reply.

“I-I’m sorry…” I whisper back timidly.

“No. I…I’m sorry babe. I just- I rather talk about something else. Like…you.”

My eyes search the stars ahead of me as I try to think of things to tell him. I tried not to dwell on myself much, since most of the stuff about myself was disappointing. I attempt to think of positive things about me for him.

“My full name is, Rose Marie Elizabeth Parker.” I spit out quietly.

“That’s a mouthful,” A light laugh comes from him. “My full name is, Louis William Tomlinson.”

I smile to the heavens above thinking over his name. “It sounds like royalty!” I joke, nudging him playfully.

He gives me another thin laugh in reply. No cocky reply? He must be hurting.

“I suffer from social anxiety.” I tell him next.

“Oh? You don’t say!” He smartly replies.

I turn my head to look at him, but he doesn’t look to me. I examine his long jaw line that is highlighted by the spheres ahead of us.

I continue with random facts, trying to distract his mind. “My favorite color is teal, I’m double jointed in my toes, I love spring and flowers, my little sister makes fun of me because I have big eyes, I’ve never had more then one friend, I’ve never kissed a boy.”

It’s completely silent after my quick fire of facts, as if he’s soaking them all in.

“I’m really proud of you, Rose,” His deep voice ruffles the air around me. “You’ve changed so much since I met you. With you dying your hair to comforting me and telling me facts about you. You wouldn’t of done that when we met. I’m just… proud of you.” I can hear the smile in his words.

This makes my head swell and flutter. Maybe I have changed a bit. Thanks to him.

******************************************

A/N: Most of you guys guessed and a lot of you were right about Grace and Lou! Good job! (Claps for you) It took me forever to write this chapter and nothing really happens! So do you guys ship #Rouis?