Chapter 1 - Those Words

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for checking this story out! I'm new to wattpad and would like to know how you feel about this story so far! Please feel free to leave me feedback and how you enjoyed it :)

**************************************

      The light pat of raindrops hit the only window on my bedroom wall. Lightly, freely, they slide down the pane and onto the white sill below. I longed for the sun to fill the empty spaces of my room, yet it hasn't been sunny for some time now. I prop myself up on my elbows and sigh into the stale air. My room is dark, uncomfortable - not me. I look to the side of me where withered flowers long for water on both of my nightstands next to my bed.

As I spin my head to look at the door ahead opening I feel my ringlets cascade over my shoulders. I loved feeling something covering my shoulders again, it let me remember what I had. A small amount of light showers across the dark floor as the door is slid open and someone walks inside. I knew who I wanted it to be, but it wasn't him. I wasn't disappointed though when I saw my little sister, Nye, pushing the door open until it reached its width and fought at its hinges. Her face is a shadow as her feet patter across the carpet floor to my bed. She stops at the foot and lowers her head, letting a sigh escape her lips quietly.

"Hey Nye, come sit next to me..." I whisper, patting the layer of free sheets next to me.

She stands where she is, reluctant, fiddling with the soft blanket spared across the foot.

"Nye..." This came out in a sigh from my lips.

She pushes herself up to me and sits. I then find myself caught off guard as she leaps into my frail arms and begins sobbing into my white tee-shirt. My bones ached as I held the back of her shirt and pull her closer to me, her feet slide onto my lap and tuck under her bum. I nuzzle her neck and take in her young smell. A soft smell, like air and flowers, something I haven't smelt in a long time. My hand rubs her tiny back in an effort to comfort her, her sobs continued and I didn't stop her. I try to take a deep calming breath but it becomes hitched in my throat and I cough. I frown as my cough lingers and I have to force myself away from Nye to cover my mouth. She watched me with wet, red eyes as I continued and take a sip of water. I swallow to sooth my scratchy throat and give Nye a small smile.

"Sorry," I chock out.

"Lou is downstairs..." She quickly mutters to me.

My heart beats inside its weak protective shell. "Lou is here?" I ask her, tilting my head slightly in my question.

She nods and looks down to intertwine her small fingers into mine. "He wanted me to tell you." She says.

I hated seeing my sister hurt like this. It pained me worse than the condition I was in. I pull her tiny chin up to look at me. Her eyes sparkled with the threat of tears, I couldn't handle that again.

"Listen, Nye," My eyes shift to the bed as I try to think over my words. "You're strong. Stronger than any ten year old I know. You will stay strong for me, yeah?" My voice is raspy, weak.

She bites her bottom lip until it turns white around her teeth.

"Yeah." She agrees moments later.

"Good." I whisper and pull her into my chest.

I fold my fingers into her dark hair and kiss her head multiple times.

"I love you. I always will you know that." I whisper into her curls.

"Are we saying goodbye?" She whimpers through her sobs.

I nuzzle her forehead and speak slowly into her ear. "We will never say goodbye. Because goodbye means forgetting, and we can never forget what we have done and who we have become together."

She looks up to me and throws her arms around my neck, kissing my cheek in the process.

"I love you, Rose."

"I love you more."

I hear a knock at the door, and we both look up. I see him leaning in the doorway, hesitant as well to enter my dark room. Nye lets me go and pats my hand before hopping off my bed and scurrying out of the room. His long arms hang slack at his sides, his fingers fiddle with themselves. This was the moment I dreaded. This is that moment. I had to say those words I didn't want to. This is that moment...