-Chapter Fourteen- The Sorting

For this moment alone Angel was glad that she had listened to Draco Malfoy. Seeing Hogwarts from the lake was amazing. She could see every light and turret against the black sky. There was something about the view that just seemed to buzz with magic. A trail of Goosebumps travelled down her body as she looked up at the castle. She gasped in amazement with the first years. Professor Grubbly-Plank tittered sat next to Angel.

"It's quite impressive don't you think? Most students remember their first day mainly for this moment." She said to Angel whilst watching the first years.

"One of my friends told me not to miss it, I almost thought he was trying to trick me; I'll have to thank him." Angel sighed. After getting out of the boat that she shared with Professor Grubbly-Plank, Angel and the first years were led to an entrance hall. A stern looking woman in with her hair in a tight bun stood at the top of the stairs, she looked down at the small first years and Angel and spoke;

"I am Professor McGonagall. In a moment you will be led into the Great Hall for your sorting. You shall put on the sorting hat and then once sorted, you shall sit at the table of your new house. These houses are Hufflepuff, Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Your house will be your family here at Hogwarts but you will and must treat the other houses with respect. I will be back shortly. Please do not make any noise, I will be able to hear you." With that she glanced at every one and stopped at Angel. "As you are the eldest, you shall be sorted first. It will then be in alphabetical order." She left through an archway to what Angel assumed was the Great Hall.

"Do you think it will hurt being sorted?" A small boy held Angel's hand as he asked her.

"No. You'll just have to put the hat on your head. My friend Harry told me that it speaks. You've got nothing to be frightened of." Angel said soothingly patting the brown hair of the little boy. He relaxed instantly.

"My name is Euan. What's yours?" He asked her, tucking a lock of his floppy hair behind his slightly large ears.

"Evangeline but you can call me Angel." She smiled at Euan and smoothed his hair down for him whilst he grinned back at her.

"I hope I get in Gryffindor." A black haired boy said puffing out his chest near some blonde girls who were huddled together. Angel laughed and once again pondered what house she would be in. She couldn't help thinking about what Draco had said about him not being her friend if she was sorted in Gryffindor; a small twinge in her stomach made her wince. She had no time to think about what that had meant though as she was being led into the Great Hall by Professor McGonagall and was holding Euan's hand as he looked up amazed at the ceiling that looked exactly like the sky.

"It's charmed to look exactly like the sky outside." Angel whispered to him.

"I know, I read about it in 'Hogwarts: A History'. I love that book." He squeaked back at her; he was trembling in her hand.

"Me too," Angel smiled. They had reached the end of the aisle and were now standing huddled together. Angel heard the hat start to sing and eventually mention something about uniting within the school but wasn't paying it any attention. She was looking around the room to see where her friends were. She spotted Harry sat with Ron and Hermione as the hat's song came to an end. He was glaring across the room; Angel followed his glare and saw Draco looking at her. He gave her a small smile as she waved at him and went back to talking to Blaise who was opposite him at the Slytherin table. Angel's attention was pulled away by Professor McGonagall clearing her throat to read out a list of names on a piece of parchment.

"Evangeline Cole, entering Fifth year." McGonagall said briskly.

"Good luck Angel!" Euan whispered as her name was called.