Chapter 30: Baby it's cold outside

Chapter 30:

Baby it's cold outside

>>More or less Carson Summers to the side

>>Carter

I can think of many other activities I'd rather be doing right now instead of answering this door in front of me at the moment.

For one, I would prefer to watch television. Even if it's something as cheesy, annoying but sometimes addicting as modern day Disney. Play video games. Something I haven't done since I had a partner to play with. Read. Even re-read a whole series I've probably read a thousand and one times too many. Cook. Even with the ninety nine percent chance of me burning the house down. Clean my room just to waste time. Sleep! Something I deserve to do at four in the damn morning like a normal- know what... screw normal, there's no such thing in my life, just let me sleep like a person dammit.

I sigh, crossing my arms across my chest before another series of knocks echo from the front door. The pounding becoming harder and less patient each time making me smirk to myself knowing how irritated the person on the other side is becoming.

I refuse to be the one to open it, so tough luck man.

"Carter!" A hushed voice stated harshly, making me turn around to meet Maybelle's shocked expression as the door continues it's pounding. She shook her head disbelievingly. "Please tell me you didn't call him."

"Good, you're up." I said dismissively, purposefully ignoring to answer her obvious question. "It's for you, have fun talking it out."

I started to make my way past her, not wanting any part of this, but then she took a hold of my shoulders before I could brush past and I stood in place. Her fingertips clawing on my shoulder cap were practically shaking as I look down at her expression.

She looked almost petrified.

"Where are you going?" She whispered in a hushed tone, almost as if the words aren't to be heard from another but myself.

"Uh. My room." I answered obviously. "We both know how this usually plays out, and I'm way too sleep deprived and unstable to be cleaning up blood from the floors so I'll just stay a good distance away from that man outside. By the way you should answer that before my door breaks in two." I pointed towards the entry where the pounding continues  more forcefully.

You break it you better buy it back Carson and twice as expensive, I thought.

"Dammit all." the woman to my side grits out, grabbing a fistful of my shirt like she didn't want me to go anywhere away from her side. She glances towards me, almost pleadingly. "Just.. can you just stay here for a-"

"No way. Not happening." I deadpanned, snapping my attention away from her pleading expression.

I'm not feeling bad for her.

"Carter I'm not going anywhere." She whispers, making me raise a questioning brow before looking back in her direction once more. "I'm staying here with you for a little while longer. We... we need to work some things out that's long overdue and-"

"Stop."

She blinked, scrunching her face disbelievingly at what I had to say as I pry her palm away from my shoulder in haste. I don't like where this is going.

"Stop that." I repeat, but this time more forcefully as I take a step back.  "Stop making promises you can't keep. Stop saying things that will give me some false hope in you only for me to be disappointed at the results in the end alright? Just... talk, yell, scream or whatever the hell you need to do to Carson to figure things out. You want to throw something at him then there's an unbreakable vase right there on the counter with his name on it. Just work. It. Out. And leave... That's all I want. I want you to leave now because you'll just end up doing it anyways."