seventy four

-julia-

We still have nothing. The day has passed away in a blink of the eye and we are no closer to a plan. We spend the day brainstorming and brainstorming, but we can't find a way out.

Is there a way to save Diane?

I can see the hope fading from her eyes as much as she doesn't want to admit it. She tries to hide it behind her steely stares and mask, but I can still see it. She's beginning to think about what it would actually be like to die. She's wondering if she's ready to leave this world. She's wondering if it will hurt. How my mother will force her to go.

I try to come up with ideas, but it feels like each one is more ridiculous than the last. I don't know if we have a chance. If we do, we have yet to find it.

The party grows closer and closer.

Diane finally asks the most ridiculous question, "What do we wear?"

I frown. "What do you mean?"

"Well, what kind of party is this? Do you think it's formal, casual, and all the other ones in between. We want to look prepared for the party. We can't look out of place. That will only attract attention, and that's the last thing we need. But it also can't be a tight dress and high heels, if we are running for our lives, I would like a fair chance at getting away."

I say, "Let me call Rosalina."

"Rosalina?"

"She's a fashion genius. She'll know what to bring so that we can dress up and down accordingly."

"I thought you weren't going to call your friends again."

"Fashion emergencies always call for exceptions."

She rolls her eyes and waits for me to the make the call. She warns me, "I don't have a lot of clothes. It's all super fancy or super casual. There's not a lot of in between."

I shrug, "I threw a ton of random clothes into my bag. It should be interesting to see what I have. I don't know if I have a whole set of shoes. I hope we are the same size."

"7."

I curse. "8s."

She shrugs, "I guess you'll have to go barefoot. Maybe Kristy is your size."

Her words bring me to a question I've been wanting to ask. "Have you told Kristy and Andrew anything?"

"Not about any of the recent stuff. They know my father is dead, but they don't know that he was murdered. They think that he got into a fight with another prisoner. They don't know that Marcia Quintana is after me or that I'm supposed to die tonight. They don't even know that I'm going to this party."

"Do you think you should tell them?"

She presses her lips together, "It will only worry them, right? What if I'm not supposed to die tonight? What if she's just waiting until Wednesday and this is to get back at you? Maybe she's not after me tonight, but you. Maybe she'll kidnap you and ship you off to Bovenhaven."

"I won't let her."

She raises an eyebrow, "What if she holds a gun to your head? You know that you are better alive and in Bovenhaven then at my side and dead."

"I'm not going to betray you."

"It's not betraying. It's called thinking things through. Your death wouldn't help me at all. It would just bring your mother closer to killing me. You realize that, right? Please don't throw yourself in front of any bullets, okay?"

"I'm not going to." I say, but I'm not sure if it is the truth. Would I throw myself in front of a gun for Diane? Maybe a gun, but what about a moving bullet? Diane has a point, but will I think like that in the moment?

Diane says, "I don't want your death on my conscience."

"That's funny, because I don't want your death on my conscience, either."

"Maybe we should just both agree not to die."

I grin, "That sounds like a fantastic idea. Above all, we must stick to this plan. Plan A, we'll call it. Don't die."

"Sounds like a great plan."

I redirect my attention back to the cell phone and dial Rosalina's number.

"Julia?" She asks as she answers.

I say, "Maybe you should make sure that it is me before you answer with my name. What if I were my mother, calling to see if I had contacted you through this phone?"

She says, "I think you have a good point in there somewhere, but I don't think that I understood it. I'm just going to not answer with your name anymore. How does that sound?"

"Great. We have a fashion emergency."

"Fantastic. Let me hear it."

"We aren't sure if this is a formal or casual party. Also. we don't know what to wear so that we don't look out of place at the party, but we are also able to run or be active if needed."

She thinks for a few seconds and then says, "I'll give you an outfit that you can dress up or down depending on the occasion. What do you have at your disposal?"

I survey Diane's small closer. I open the door and wince. "Not a lot."

Diane huffs, "I warned you, didn't I?"

I say into the phone, "For the record, Diane did warn me. She's got a lot of fancy and a lot of casual. Not a lot in between. What did you wear to the mall?" I turn to Diane.

Diane's cheeks flame red. "I don't go to the mall."

I want to apologize, but I don't know how. Who am I to insult her like that? Surely she despises me now.

Rosalina says, "Does she have any skirts that are one color?"

I repeat the question back to Diane.

Diane shifts through her closet and pulls out a black flared skirt and a blue pencil.

I repeat the options back to Rosalina.

Rosalina says, "Pair those with tights, a cute blouse, and flats. But comfortable flats, something that you know you will be able to run in. Something with straps and a good bottom. Then get a nice blouse that matches. Bring along jewelry and put that on until you match the dressiness. I think I've taught you enough throughout the rules to believe that you will be able to think for yourself."

"Yes, fashion master. Thank you for your wisdom."

Rosalina laughs and says, "I'll be there at 6:50."

"Perfect. Maybe we should meet, but maybe we shouldn't."

"I'm not sure what that means."

I say, "I'll find you if we need to meet. Just be ready. Watch for my mother. Be careful. Basically everything that I said today."

She nods, "See you soon, Julia. Stay safe."

I click off my phone.

"Our fashion crisis has been solved."

If only all our problems would disappear with a simple phone call.