eight

-julia-

In the car on our way home, my mother looks at me for the third time and clucks her tongue. "Maybe it wasn't a good idea to bring you to that meeting. Maybe you weren't ready."

I frown, "No, I think I was ready."

"Maybe I should have just known better than bringing you to that meeting of all meetings. I guess I just wanted to show you how intense it can get and how disrespectful people can be. Can you believe the nerve of that man? It was as if he didn't realize who he was talking to. I can't believe he had the audacity to attack you like that."

"It was okay. You stopped him. I didn't have to answer anything."

She just shakes her head, "Now that you met him, do you understand what I mean? He's so sarcastic, so disrespectful, I don't know how to react. He believes that he is the most important person in the world and treats you as though you are the least. It was foolish to even bring him to a meeting. I should have just decided his punishment and then given it to him without a trial. I thought that I might be polite, but clearly he didn't feel the same way."

"Mom, it's okay. Don't let one disrespectful person ruin your day. Clearly he is the one who needs a self evaluation, not you. He is a criminal. You can't expect him to be polite." I'm not sure if I believe what I'm saying, but I know what to do to make my mother feel better. I know how much her job stresses her out and it could do both of us some good for her to take a deep breath.

"I suppose you are right. I just wonder why he won't be respectful, if he wants his job back in the Assembly so much. Clearly he doesn't care and just wants to pick a fight wherever he can."

I nod and agree with her because maybe she'll take another deep breath.

But honestly? Did he deserve the sentence of two days of jail as a 'precautionary measure'? Especially if he has a daughter at home. I think his wife died a few years ago, though I can't remember the exact cause.

If we are following by the rules, that kind of punishment isn't legal. We still follow the prehistoric rule that everyone is innocent until proven guilty. 

But as my mother said, we don't follow the rules anymore. 

Author's Note

Hi everyone! I just want to thank everyone who has taken the time to read, vote, and/or comment on this story. It's ranking #165 in Adventure, which is crazy for this early! You are all simply too awesome. I plan to get back to all of your comments soon, hopefully over this next weekend. School is already kicking my butt and I'm still preparing 986 for querying so I am crazy busy. BUT I WILL GET TO YOUR COMMENTS! EVEN THOSE ONES I LEFT BEHIND ON THE CHASING ROYALTY SERIES! I also haven't been doing dedications, but I still plan to do those too.

I see every single comment and they all make me smile. Honesty. All of you remind me why I want to be an author so much. So thank you.  

Love you!

Anne Brees