four

-julia-

Rosalina groans from the corner of my room. "What time is it?"

I open my eyes, and squint at my clock. "Almost eleven."

Rosalina's response is another groan.

I pull myself out of bed. There's a small headache in the back of my skull, but nothing to what Rosalina and Carlotta must be experiencing. While I had to stay sober to talk to all the politicians and look good for my mother, they quickly became bored and entertained themselves with a variety of drinking games. I had to pull both of them up to my room when the night was over. I'm hoping they will just sleep their hangover off, but I know how it will really be.

Rosalina groans for a third time and says, "What time is it now?"

"Still almost eleven."

Carlotta throws a pillow from her spot on the floor. "Shut up all of you. My skull has officially cracked open. If you say another word, I will throw up all of Julia's nice little carpet."

Rosalina groans again in response.

I stand and say, "I'm going to go get some breakfast. Do you want any?"

"No," Rosalina says in between groans.

Carlotta struggles to stand, swaying on her feet, "That's it. I'm going to throw up. Why did you have to mention food?"

I press my lips together and leave the room. They'll be better off to just survive in my room all alone. I have things I need to do today anyway.

As I make my way down our spiral glass staircase, I hear hurried footsteps in the hallway behind me. Then the sound of a toilet flushing.

I guess Carlotta held true to her promise of throwing up.

I shake my head to myself and get to the kitchen.

A staff members smiles at me as I enter, "Is there anything I can get you?"

"Just a glass of orange juice, please."

She nods and goes to pour me a glass.

While the staff is away, my mother enters. She ties a belt around her fluffy white robe and looks at me. "Can we talk?"

I nod, "What about?"

"I think it's time we had a serious conversation."

I was under the impression that all of our conversations were serious. I don't think I've ever heard my mother make a joke.

I wait for her to continue. The staff appears and sets a large glass of bright orange juice in front of me. I take a sip, raising an eyebrow at my mother.

She says, "You talked to Mr. Creighton for me."

I nod, "Yes, but he saw right through my purpose. I keep telling you. I'm not young anymore. People know that I'm just trying to convince them for you. It's only making you and I looking worse."

"That's what I wanted to talk to you about. I think you need to practice how you talk to people. You are going to be a politician someday after all."

I bow my head so that she doesn't see the disappointment on my face. I know that I must be a politician. After all, the position in the Assembly is passed down from parent to child. Since families are only allowed to have one child, I am the heir.

I try to keep my expression from souring as I think of taking my mother's place once she passes. I'll be the young lady with the wrinkles around my eyes, placing my head in my hands from stress. I'll have to force the smiles as people fill my house at the political parties. I'll have to do whatever I can to get my laws passed.

My mother says, "I think you should come into work with me a few days. You never know when Death might try to claim me. I could die today and you would have to take my position. Just think of the Corleys."

Andrew Corley passed when he was only twenty three. His son was two years old. The balance of the Assembly couldn't be changed so they had a two year old serve on Assembly. Of course, he didn't try to pass any laws himself, but he still had to vote on everything. People often tried to buy his vote with candy and toys. By now he is sixteen and is actually very good at politics. However, those years were horrible for our country. Next to no problems were fixed because the child didn't know which way to vote.

I force a smile, "I guess I could come in a few days. Will that be allowed?"

"Some of the other Assembly bring in their children. In fact, Lydia is constantly bringing in her ten year old. She thinks it's so cute to bring him to everything. Never mind that her child can't keep his mouth shut for two seconds. We can't have a single meeting without him bursting into song or crying about something or other. It's no matter. It won't be a problem with you. It will gain some respect for you if you show that you have interest and plan to work hard as a politician."

I nod, "That sounds great. Just tell me when you would like me to come."

"Today could work."

"It's almost the afternoon. And it's the weekend. What could possibly be happening?"

"There's an emergency meeting today. At three. It's about the Tinsleys."

"What did they do?"

"We think their parties are getting a little out of hand. They are gaining too much control with the people around them. They have the criminal crowd in the palm of their hands. They could be dangerous."

I shake my head, "Mother, they haven't made any attempts at trying to gain back their position for years."

"That doesn't mean that they aren't waiting for the perfect opportunity. Julia, you must take this seriously. You and I are most likely their number one enemy. It was my father, after all, that got them kicked out of the Assembly. That's not exactly something that they might forget easily."

Two generations before me, my grandfather's generation, the Tinsleys used to be part of the Assembly. However, my grandfather caught on to some of the less than legal activities the Tinsleys were taking part in at that time. I'm not sure how bad it was, maybe some gambling and petty crimes. But the Tinsleys had never been much of a favorite. They tended to be loud and push for the things they wanted. They were known to use bribery or blackmail if needed.

When my grandfather found the chance to get them kicked out of the Assembly, he did. He stripped them of their titles and nearly all their money. They were sent to a poorer section of the city and they were supposed to be never heard or seen from again.

The Creightons, a different family, used to just be another rich family. With some power, but not enough power as one of the Assembly families. Once the Tinsley's lost their position, the Creightons were welcomed on to the Assembly to keep the balance.

However, the Tinsleys didn't like following the rules. The news is full of the activities of them. While you can't find anything exactly illegal against them, you know that they must be doing something. They are almost proud of their criminality. They throw wild parties and invite everyone who gained their fortune from the same criminal activities. Much to my mother and the rest of the Assembly's disgust, the Tinsley are a success. People love the head of the family, Alan Tinsley. Not much is known about his daughter. In fact, I'm not sure if I've heard anything about her. I'm sure I've never seen as much as a picture of her in the news. Perhaps she likes to stay out of the spotlight. In a family like that, I wouldn't blame her.

My mother says, "I would like you to come. I think it would be good for you to see a discussion. Besides, Alan Tinsley will be there. He's going to be attempting to defend his case. I'm sure it could be a lot of fun."

I shrug, "Sure, that sounds fine. Just tell me when you are leaving."

She nods and excuse herself from the room. I sip my orange juice in silence, trying to gather up at least a sliver of anticipation or excitement for the afternoon. Instead, I just feel emptiness towards the future of politics I don't want.