Chapter 7

{STILES POV}

It's been a year since the alpha pack incident and I'm really worried about Scott.  It feels like he's almost blocked his emotions from everyone and blocked himself from everything.  The others probably tricked themselves into accepting Scott's fake attempts of I'm ok's, but I'm his best friend and I know he's not.  He's not the same easy going guy I used to hang out with, it's like he's empty.  Derek had told his assumption, which was that Jackson and Scott were mates.  Though the part that Derek didn't understand, was how Jackson could get the strength to leave a mate behind.  Well in all honesty I don't care how he got the strength, all I care about is kicking his ass for hurting Scott if he ever comes back.

I finally round the last hallway and find Scott talking to Lily.  Still that blank stare that's kind of become his permanent one.  I can't just sit here and watch him fade away, I have to do something.  I slowly make my way over to join the conversation.

"Hey guys" I smiled, waving as I walk up.  They both greet me with hello but Scott's eyes never show any emotion.

"So, how are things at home Lil?" I ask.  Lily had finally told us that she was Jackson's sister but they were both put up for adoption after their parents car crash.  I could tell Lily was hurt by Jackson's leave, but was trying to stay strong for Scott.

"Things are good" she nods "Hey, I have to go to class but I'll see you guys around."  With that she runs off to an eager Danny and I'm left with Scott.

"Ready for chem?" I ask.

"Always am" he shrugs and I frown inside from the lack of emotion in the statement.  I want my best friend back.

{LILY'S POV}

I stood there as Danny blabbed on about his boyfriend but I just kept thinking of Scott.  He hasn't been right ever since my brother left a year ago.  I remember his reaction like it was yesterday.

~FLASHBACK~

I watch as Jackson walked away from us, back turned and never looking back.  I flashed my eyes over to Scott and saw his expression just crumbling.  Right then, was when my suspicions of them being mates confirmed.  I'd trying to prod them ever since I met them, trying to push them together.  They were actually making progress until just now when Jackson fucked everything up.

I watch as Scott backs up and sinks onto a log.  He just looks empty and hollow.  The only emotion I could actually see was pain in his half closed eyes.

"Scott are you-" I started.

"I'm fine" he cut me off "I'll be fine."

~END OF FLASHBACK~

By this time Danny still wasn't even half way through his story.  I've actually been hanging out with Danny quite a bit this year.  I guess when Jackson left he befriended me to make up for the loss of Jackson.  Anyway Jackson didn't take into consideration how many people his leave would impact.  What I'm waiting for now is that he comes back and fixes all this.

{JACKSON'S POV}

I was currently in my car waiting for my wounds to heal.  I'd just barely gotten away from that last battle with my life.  Scar, the head werewolf decided it'd be a good experience to fight a coven of vampires.

Well, it probably sounded like a good plan in his head, but it happened to cost him the lives of everyone in his pack including him.  I was the only one left and I wasn't exactly sure what was next.  I still felt the pull to go back to beacon hills, but Scott's words were burned into my brain.  'I hate you Jackson, I hate you!'  I don't think I could take it to see Scott angry with me.

I grabbed the picture of Scott down from my mirror, catching a glimpse of my red eyes that symbolized I was an alpha.  It was different, being an alpha.  Everything becomes a lot clearer, like who your mate is.  It was a little weird at first finding out Scott was my mate, but I'd grown to accept it and I just fit like two pieces of a puzzle.  Though I screwed up any chance I had when I left a year ago.

I sighed as I realized there was only one thing I could do, I had to go back to beacon hills and fight to get my mate back......

***

Three days later I had finally made my way to Beacon Hills.  I drove around just trying to come up with a plan of action when the scent hit me like a ton of bricks.  Not just any scent though, it was his scent.  At that point it was like my instincts took over and my car was driving in the direction the scent was coming from until finally I pulled up in front of the local bowling alley. 

I stepped out of my car and entered the bowling alley looking around a bit frantically.  That's when I saw him.  He was a bit taller than last time I left and his muscles more defined.  He was just sitting there slouched in a seat sipping on sprite.  I was about to go over there when he stiffened up and his head whipped right towards me.  I barely had anytime to drown in those big brown eyes until they were growing to the sizes of saucers and he was shooting out of his seat rushing toward a very petite girl at the lane.  He told her something, she nodded in understanding, and they both hurried out the exit on their side of the building.  Just before they left I caught Lily's scent and knew who the girl was.

My heart sank as I began to wonder why he was in such a rush to leave when he saw me.  It was like getting stabbed in the heart.  Though can I really blame him?  I did leave them when they needed me most.  I guess getting close to him is going to be harder than I thought.