Chapter.10 Chicken Wings and Best Friends

I stayed at the party. I couldn't leave Evan's birthday party just because I was pissed at my ass of a fiance. Plus, I think Christina would have my head served up on a platter for all the guests if I left her pregnant self alone to clean up everything. I had been sitting at the island in the kitchen , picking at a cold chicken wing for about ten minutes before Evan walked in.

"Nicole?" He asked, crinkling his forehead.

     "Oh hey Evan. Are you enjoying your party?" I asked, trying to seem enthusiastic.

He rolled his eyes. "Enough with the small talk. What's wrong?"

I smiled at him. I seemed to forget a lot recently, that Evan was my best friend, next to Christina. I'd been overlooking him since Christina had anounced her pregnancy because I thought my attention would be more helpful to her. But I had just realized that Evan and I had not really talked, just the two of us, for a very long time. He knew me a lot better than most people and I shouldn't have taken that for granted.

"I really don't want to bring you down at your own party. It is your birthday after all, Ev."

He chuckled, taking a seat next to me, grabbing my uneaten chicken wing and scarfing it down before he took another one. "Now, what's a birthday without someone crying about something?" He smirked.

"No ones crying in here," I rolled my eyes, sighing as I remembered the reason I was even in there alone in the first place.

        "Nicole. Let's cut to the chase, shall we?" He smiled, nudging my arm with his. "We both clearly know that this has something to do with my good fellow, Matthew." As he was speaking, the chicken wing he held was flapping around as he pointed at me. I nodded. "See, I'm a genious. Anyways, I'm sure whatever he did, you two will have some sort of heartfelt apology, followed by a deep discussion while you gaze into each others eyes and end the night off with some mind blowing make up celebrity sex."

"Evan!" I giggled, turning a little red in the face. By this point a few people had roamed into the kitchen to grab a snack. And they seemed to hover a little when they caught wind of the conversation.

      "What?" Evan smiled widely, flashing his teeth. "It's not a secrect, Nicole. Everyone knows you and Matt bang on the reg. It's obvious," he chomped on the chicken bone, his mouth full of food.

"Oh my God," I laughed. "And why is that so obvious?"

Evan got close to me then, leaning in so the other people couldn't hear. "Guys talk about that too honey." He wagged his eye brows at me as I gasped.

"Oh that's great. So, Matt goes around telling people about our sex life? Awesome." Like I needed another reason to be mad at him right now.

       "Don't flatter yourself, Nic. All guys talk about it with other guys. It's normal. Although, I didn't peg you for one of THOSE girls," he smirked,

"What the hell does that mean Evan?"

       "Oh you know."

I racked my brain, but I couldn't think of anything that Matt would tell Evan that would be surprising compared to his and Christina's sex life.

       "Come on . . . Mrs. Mullaney--"

"Oh my God! I can't believe he told you that!" I gasped, almost choking as I watched Evan fall over in his chair laughing at my face.

       "Oh don't worry Nicole. Guys love when girls role play. Teacher student is pretty common, i just didn't think you were like that, that's all," he laughed, comtaining himself as he sat back in his seat.

I his my face in my hands. "That's so embaressing."

      "Why? It's not like he told me about the time your dog Muffin jumped up on your bed while you two were going at it . .  . oh wait."

"That still haunts me to this day. That poor dog."

We both started laughing and then I stopped and just stared at him, smiling.

      "Stop looking at me. It's creepy," he laughed, playfully shoving me back.

"I'm just really happy you're my friend, Evan."

His smile faded and I could have swore I saw his eyes tear up a little, but he turned away from me and when he looked at me again, all signs of emotion were gone. He always tried to be such a tough guy.

     "Yeah, yeah, enough with all of this mushy gushy stuff," he waved me off.

"I'm serious Evan."

     "I know you are," he said simply. I just stared at him, smiling, waiting for him to spill his feelings because he never does.

He rolled his eyes at me, sighing because he knew I was waiting for more of a response. "Ugh. Okay, I'm happy you're my friend too Nicole." He inhaled really deep and then let it all go. "Sometimes I forget how much you were there for me, you know, at the begining. You're basically the reason why me and Chris are together and why me and Matt are friends. I owe you for two of the most important relationships in my life. Soon to be three," he smiled, getting all bashful as he spoke of his daughter.

"Wow, Evan. I didn't know you had all of that in you."

      "You know, sometimes I can get deep," he said, leaning back in his chair as he reached out and stretched his arms. "I miss our little talks."

"Me too," I smiled, patting his arm.

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Matt appear from the doorway. I sighed and Evan began to get up.

      "I'll leave you two alone."

"Evan?"

       "Yeah?"

"Thank you."

      "For what?"

"For making me a little less pissed."

He chuckled. "Of course you caught onto me." He hugged me and then stepped back, punching my arm. "Don't be too tough on him. I can't be his best man if you kill him."

"I'll try to take it easy."

------------------

Sorry it's a short one, but the next chapter will be good(;

-Kristina