Chapter.3 Daddy issues

We sat in the car, kissing and talking . . . but mostly kissing, for a while longer. When I noticed the time, Matt drove to my house and we both got out of the car.

"Mom! Dad!" I shouted as I walked in the door. I pulled Matt along with me. "Look who came for a visit!"

My mom came rushing down the stairs with her hair all over the place. She looked like she had a fight with a vacuum.

"Sorry, I was just blow drying my hair-- oh Matt! Welcome back sweetie!" She smiled, giving him a hug.

We all sat down in the kitchen and talked for a while. I explained to my mom what I wanted to do and she seemed to be okay with the idea of me going to Matt's movie set for a few weeks. Convincing my mom to let me go was easy. My dad . . . that would be another story.

"Honey, whose car is that outside?" My dad asked, coming in the front door. He walked into the kitchen but froze when he saw who was in there.

"I thought you'd still be at work honey?" My mom asked, trying to ignore the elephant in the room.

My dad sighed, setting his briefcase down on the table. "I figured I'd work from home today and spend some time with my family, but it looks like that isn't happening."

I rolled my eyes. "We can still do that dad. Matt can come with us since pretty soon he will be part of the family." I pointed out.

My dad just stared at me and I could tell Matt felt uncomfortable. I squeezed his hand under the table.

"Mr. Mullaney, may I speak to you . . . privately?" Matt asked.

Everyone froze and then we all stood up at once. My mom said she had to go finish doing her hair, my dad moved his brief case from the table to the floor and sat down at the table. I stood up, between my dad and Matt.

"I'm staying in case you try and kill him," I said to my dad, but he chuckled.

"What is it you want to talk about? I'm all ears."

Matt composed himself, but sat back down with me standing behind his chair. "I don't know why you dislike me so much Mr. Mullaney, when I have had such respect for you and your wife and you daughter."

"If you had respect for my daughter then you would have left her a long time ago." My dad hissed, his fist clenching up.

"What are you talking about dad?" I shouted at him.

He rolled his eyes, ignoring me. "Having all of her privacy vanish in a year is not what I call respect."

"When Nicole and I first started dating I told her the downsides of being with me. She could have said no, but she deiced to stick it out to be with me. I would never have put her through this if it wasn't what she wanted. I'm not lying to you when I say we really do love each other." Matt said. He was keeping his composer which was a shock because he had an awful temper.

That's when my dad got up, almost throwing the chair when he pushed it aside. "And you want to be married and live together happily ever after? Well I'm sorry, but have you seen what the limelight has done to people. It makes you crazy for money and fame and changes you completely. How many celebrities have actually stayed together?" He shouted.

"You may not believe it, but Nicole had changed me and I'm not just some celebrity obsessed with money and fame--"

"If she changed you so easily then what makes you think being in tabloids and having cameras in her face wont change her?"