Chapter.12 Eleven Days

Slamming the door to the apartment, I stumbled over my suitcase I had been living out of for the past week and some odd days. I scooped up the majority of my things, ferociously throwing them into the suitcase where I never should have taken them out of.

"Nicole!" Matt screamed from down the hall. I could tell he was running and pretty soon he was slamming  his fist on the other side of the door. "Damn it Nicole! Let me in!"

I scoffed, "don't you have a key?"

"I forgot it! Let me in! This is insane!"

"Huh, guess you can add forgetting your key to the list of moronic things you've done this week." I scrambled around the room, making sure I wasn't forgetting anything, before I zipped up my suitcase and opened the door. I tried to push past him, but he just picked me up and placed me back in the room. "Matt! Put me down! I mean it, this isn't funny, I'm not joking--"

"And you think I am? Nicole, we have to talk about this!" He shouted, taking my suitcase from me.

I grasped at it, but he threw it off the wall, the sound echoing in my head as tears built up in the corners of my eyes. "What the hell are you doing, you psycho!" I shrieked as he grasped onto my shoulders, trying to get me to look at him. "Get off! Stop it! Stop! I hate you!"

He stopped then, staring at me. Those words had never come out of my mouth before and, honestly, I never thought they would. We both froze then, staring at each other until tears started streaming down my cheeks.

"Matt . . . I can't . . . do this anymore."

He just kept staring at me, saying nothing.

"I have to go."

A tear slipped down his face as he took my hand in his. "Nicole . . . please . . . I--"

"I'm sorry Matt," I whispered, pulling the sparkly ring off of my finger, placing it in his hand, and closing it for him.

I left him standing there in the apartment as I wheeled my suitcase down the hallway, the echoes of his sobbing following me as I went.

. . . Eleven Days Earlier. . .

"I promise I'll be home around ten thirty tonight. We're getting everything done pretty fast tonight," Matt said on the other end of the phone. For the past three days that we've been here on set, the days and nights have all been a constant string of Matt waking up early in the morning to go to work and me, waiting in the apartment given to us. Sometimes I read, maybe watch a little TV, take a stroll around the town, do a little shopping, call my mom or Christina, but it's all the same. Waiting. All I do is wait. Wait for Matt to come home and then I'm counting down the minutes until he has to go back to work and I'm alone again.

"Nicole?"

"Oh, yeah. I can't wait. I'll be waiting for you."

"Good. I love you."

"I love you too. Hurry home."

And then I was waiting again. Alone. The phone rang not even seconds after I hung up with Matt.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Mrs. Palmer?" An unfamiliar voice spoke.

My heart skipped a beat when I heard those words. Pretty soon I would be Mrs. Palmer so I just went along with it.

"Yes, who is this?"

"I'm Karen Davis, Mathew's agent."

"Oh, hi, how are you?" I asked, a little confused as to why she was calling the apartment when I figured she should be calling Matt's cell phone.