Chapter.9 Better Late than Never?

Chapter.9

One hour. He had one hour to make it back in time for Evan's party. Since early this morning all I could think about was what Matt had been doing? How could he leave at 7AM and still be running 'errands' at 6PM? Of course all I could think about was the worst case senarrio. Did he get into an accident? Did he get hit by a train? Did he get a flat tire on the high way and break down, only to have a serial killer pull over and kidnap him and hold him for a cash reward? I shook my head and faced the harsh realization that my fiance is a Hollywood actor who always lost track of time and was still a little self absored at times.

Yes, he proabably forgot about the party and that we were going together and that we needed to be there in, now, fifty three minutes. Not to mention, it is his best friends birthday. You'd think he'd care just a little bit about other people's time and not just his own. Would this be my life now? Living in the constant worry of Matthew Palmer's life. If he was safe, where he was, or what if he forgot about me?

No. That would not become my life and it isn't really my life now. This doesn't usually happen. He proabably just lost track of time and would be back when he realizes where he has to be. He just forgot. He isn't purposely late. He isn't.

I decided to fix up my hair and touch up my make up while I was waiting for Matt. I tried not to dress too formal or too casual. I knew Christina would still want to look the best, baby bump and all. I checked the time again . . . twenty minutes. He had twenty minutes.

I flipped through the station on the TV, trying to destract myself from the anger bubling up inside of me. Christina was probably livid when she saw the first guests arrive and they weren't Matt and I. I knew she'd want us to be the first to be there to make sure everything was exactly how she wanted it to be. Afterall, it was a surprise party and if your late to the party it kind of ruins the fun. I looked around for the present Matt said he bought earlier today. I checked the closet, under the bed, in the kitchen, the living room, even the bathroom, and nothing. Ten minutes . . .

I picked up the keys from the kitchen table, walked out the door, and started up the car. I counted to ten , praying that by some chance Matt would pull up in one of his three cars and sprint over to me, begging for me not to be mad, saying he got stuck in traffic. But I heard no reving of an engine, saw no headlights, no one running over to me to beg for forgivness. Eight minutes . . .

I got to Christina's house just in time for her to drag me in and pull me behind the sofa. Everyone else was already there: friends, old teammates, cousins . . . but no best friend. No Matt. Seconds later, Evan walked through the door with one of his cousins, holding a whole watermelon.

"Surprise!" Everyone cheered together, causing Evan to drop his jaw and almost the watermelon, but he quickly caught it.

"Oh my God! I thought you wanted watermelon Chris!" He shouted in disbelief.

"Of course that would be your reaction," Christina rolled her eyes, laughing. "Just a distraction, baby."

"Are you surprised?" Evan's cousin Alex asked. He was the closest to Evan and closest in age, only a year older.

"Hell yeah I am!" Evan gleamed, walking in and hugging everyone.

Once the music was turned on and the food was put out, everyone kind of settled in and began catching up and dancing. I tried, I really did, to forget about why I was mad and to talk to everyone, but once I did, all anyone asked about was Matt. And that just sped my heart rate up.

"Nicole?" Christina asked, walking closer to me and resting a hand on my shoulder.

"Yeah?" I answered, sounding a little more irritable than I had meant.