chapter.2 Drive by

chapter.2 Drive by

"Nicole! Can you run to the grocery store? I need some milk and eggs," my mom asked.

"Sure," I sighed, not like I was busy or anything.

It was actually kind of pathetic--what I've been doing for the past few days. I know that Matt is busy and he's finishing up on his movie, but a phone call would be nice. I've been sitting next to the phone in my living room every time I have dinner and then carrying my cell phone like a little baby whenever I leave the house.

Every night Matt would send an 'I love you' text, which was nice, but I'd like to hear my boyfriend's-- I mean fiancé's-- voice. He's usually too tired to call and have a conversation on the nights that he shoots for hours, which I understand . . . but I just miss him.

I got the milk and eggs from the store and was walking back to my car when about a dozen photographers popped out of from behind a truck. They weren't just yelling different things at me like they normally do, they were pushing and shoving each other to get the best picture of me. One of them tried to push another out of the way and elbowed me in the arm, causing me to drop the grocery bag.

"Hey!" I shouted, but they all just kept swarming and trying to get pictures.

I heard the screech of a car turning too fast coming around the corner. It didn't stop until it came only feet away from me and the group paparazzi. They all backed up, dropping some of their cameras, and cleared a way for me. A tall, dark haired man with a mustache and sunglasses stepped out of the car. He left the engine on and door wide open.

"Step away from the girl!" He shouted.

Almost as if rehearsed, they all back away and then ran, never turning back to face the man that almost ran them all over. I turned to thank the man for helping me but he was picking up the bag I dropped, carrying it back to his car.

"Um, that's mine," I said, really confused. First this guy comes barreling around the corner, almost running me and the photographers over, and now he steals my grocery's. He could clearly afford them, I mean he was driving a pretty expensive car . . . maybe he stole it?

"Get in the car," he instructed in a low voice.

"Excuse me?" I gasped. Okay, he's a creep.

"Did I stutter? I said get in the car Nicole," he spat.

"How do you know my name?" I asked, officially scared out of my mind.

"Doesn't everyone?" He smirked, reminding me of someone.

He got back in the car after opening the passenger door and rolled down the window. "Are you coming?" he asked.

"No," I said.

"Don't you want your bag?"

"I think I can afford to buy another gallon of milk," I rolled my eyes.

"Don't make me call them back," he warned.

"You wouldn't."

"I would. Hey everyone! It's Nicole Mullaney and Matthew Palmer!" He yelled.

In just a few seconds, people from the store and all the paparazzi that ran away came back. They all rushed at me and the car, creating a stampede. I ran and jumped in the passenger seat without thinking. Before I knew it the car was spinning around and zipping out of the parking lot.

I looked over to the guy and got a feeling in my gut. I really shouldn't have done this. What was he going to do to me? "You know if you kill me, people will find out? My parents will come looking for me and my fiancé will hunt you down," I warned.

"Will he now?" A familiar voice asked. He pulled over into a deserted parking lot and put the car in park.

"Seriously dude, what are you doing?" I panicked.

"Relax Nicole," he chuckled. He reached up to his brown hair and grabbed it, pulling it off to reveal shining blond hair. Next he pulled at his mustache and ripped it off. He didn't need to take the sunglasses off for me to know who he was. I jumped on him, kissing him all over, breathing in his cologne. I could feel him laughing.

"Hi baby," He cooed, pushing a piece of my hair behind my ear.

"Matt! Why didn't you tell me you were coming home? And why didn't you say you were you?" I asked.

He chuckled. "Because I thought this was more fun, don't you think?" he winked.

I rolled my eyes, picking up the wig and playing with it in my hands.

"I knew we'd get some use out of these," he smiled.

"This is the wig we got when we got our disguises?" I laughed.

"Yeah, figured it would come in handy," he winked.

"Wait, how did you know where I was?"

He chuckled. "Well I was going to stop by your house, but while I was driving past the supermarket I see a bunch of people taking pictures of someone. I thought I should see if I knew them and I run into you," he smiled. "I have the disguise on so I wouldn't be followed to your house . . . I figured you had enough trouble with that already, you don't need more cameras outside your door."

He looked at me for a long while and kissed me. "I really missed you Nicole. I don't know if I can go back without you."

"Go back?" I asked.

"Yeah, they gave me a week off but after that I have to go back and film the last few things. I'll only be gone a couple of weeks." He shrugged.

"Yeah, a couple of weeks," I sighed. That's what he said last time and it ended up being two months.

"I know it's hard on you and it's hard on me too, that's why I wanted to ask you if you'd come with me this time. We can stay in a hotel and you can visit the set and we can see each other ever morning and night," he smiled.

"Yes!" I gushed, kissing him all over. "Wow! A real movie set! I've never seen one before," I smiled.

"It's really not all that, trust me. Once you spend months at a time there, you want to get out."

I felt bad for him. Although he really didn't have anything to be sad about, with his family situation all set and his rising bank account, but I could tell something was really bothering him.

"Matt . . ." I asked, holding his hand. He looked at me from under his eyelashes. "What's wrong? You seem upset about something."

He smiled, shaking his head. "Nicole, trust me when I say I'm not upset about anything anymore. Now that I'm with you, I have nothing to be upset about. Yes, looking at the same four walls in my hotel room get boring and being in a trailer most of the day can sometimes get to me. But those are all little things that mean nothing once I really think about how lucky I am."

"It's so weird," I sighed.

"What?"

I laughed. "How much you've changed. I think the nice boy act is much more suiting for you than the bad boy one."

He chuckled. "Hey, you fell for me with that bad boy act."

"Maybe. But I stayed for the real you."