Chapter 24

"Why did you go to so much trouble for me after I abandoned you?" I mutter, not audible enough for anyone except myself to hear.

Grace fell for Nikaido's trap because she thought that he had information about my sister. It's not as if I hadn't already put the plan in motion to overthrow him beforehand, but if just one thing had gone wrong then it would've turned into a very dangerous situation.

And if anything had happened to her, I'd ... I don't know what I'd do. There's very genuine and very real fear within myself that she could've ended up loosing her life for me. Why? Why would anyone go to such lengths for someone else? For me?

Taking her hand, I gently help her up but she pulls her hand away from me as soon as she's on her two feet, wincing. I start to think that maybe she still hates me but then I notice the nasty red bruses on her wrists, probably from the ropes. Getting worried, I begin to speak but she cuts me off.

"I'm sorry, Eisuke. When he said he had your sister in his office, I guess I kind of lost all reason. I mean, I didn't even notice that we were going inside a warehouse, not an office. I'm really sorry for all the trouble - it wasn't intentional."

Don't look at me like that with those pure, honest and exquisite blue eyes which are so unlike mine ...

I'm the man who ruined your life. I'm the man who told you I was done with you and just deserted you. How can she forgive people so easily? And she finally got her life back so why would she willingly inconvenience herself with this again?

Not being able to bear that steady, unfaltering gaze any longer I deliberately look away. If I stay here any longer, I know that there's the possibility that I'll lose control so the best thing to do now would be to leave the warehouse. Mamoru and the others can take care of the rest by themselves, anyway.

"Mamoru, the usual. Got it?"

"Roger. Ahhh, what a pain ..." he grumbles but I've already turned away and started heading towards the exit.

"Eisuke!? Wait!"

The sound of her voice tugs at me and I'm almost compelled to turn around but I manage to resist the urge and leave, pretending not to hear her.

________________________________________________

"Why was I so desperate to save her?"

I rack through my brain, searching for a reason that can justify my actions as I walk back to my car when I realize that I don't have the keys.

"Tch, where the hell did the damned thing go?" I mutter to myself, irritably even if I have no idea why I'm getting upset over such a little thing. What on earth am I so panicked about? Taking deep breaths, I try to get myself to calm down when I suddenly spot Mamoru emerging from the building.

He trudges over to me, dangling what I soon recognize to be my keys in front of him with an exasperated yet amused look on his face.

"Squad cars will be here any minute. Thought ya might need this."

Looking at the smirk on his face, I can't contain the glum look on mine. Why is it so relieving that I know she's safe now? She doesn't belong to me anymore; I let her go.

At least that's what I thought.

As I speed away from the scene, several police cars drive past me. I cast a sidelong glance at the warehouse and the rushing policemen almost seem like somebody else's problem.

In truth, I don't think I ever did want to let her go, but even more so, I never dreamed that I'd ever be in this position.

Even so, I won't deny these feelings any longer.