Chapter 9

"Here's your coffee, Eisuke." I say, handing him the steaming mug.

"Mmm." is all he says in response as he takes it from me. Lately, i've been 'ordered' to come here every morning to make him his coffee and with no other choice as per usual, I find myself waking up half an hour earlier every morning.

And as always it's with 3 sugar cubes and lots of milk. Obviously.

"Mm, just the right amount of sweetness." he says with a smirk. "Even you have your useful points."

"Well technically, someone, not mentioning any names of course, got me to make them a new cup every time I screwed up so I learned eventually." I reply, rolling my eyes at him. "I'm surprised you can drink it so sweet, though."

"Your brain needs sugar for energy." He states. "Maybe even you'd get smarter if you ate more sugar."

"Excuse me? Who's the doctor here? And news flash, dumb people don't get to be doctors so I'm smart enough, thank you very much."

"You're an intern, not a doctor."

"They call me Doctor Atkin at the hospital, though. Doctor Atkin. D-O-C-T-O-R, Doctor. Plus, one of the patients called me 'really clever' the other day, so in your face."

"Your patient is clearly suffering from brain damage."

"What a charming fellow you are, Eisuke. And, by the way, too much sugar intake can also give you type 2 diabetes, not to mention make you fat."

"Fat? You don't have to worry about that."

"You can only say that because you're not interested in me."

"Being as thin as you are, dresses only just about fit you so it'd be a pain if you got any thinner. Don't lose any weight without my permission. It'd actually be better if you gained some weight."

"No way. And you can't force me to either."

"You sure about that?"

"Yes. You wouldn't tie me up and feed me or anything."

"Who knows?"

I stare at him in disbelief, but he simply shrugs and goes back to his laptop but not without that irritating, signature smirk of his.

I swear, this guy...

______________________________________________________________

That night, it's about an hour till my night shift at the hospital starts and all the guys including myself are gathered up in the penthouse lounge with Soryu holding on to a Chihuahua that looks slightly familiar.

"Isn't that Carolina's dog?" I ask.

"She made me take him." he answers.

"Pfft. Looks like you too are getting along well." remarks Eisuke, grinning wickedly.

"Shut up. I can't believe you pushed that pig on me."

"Oh, who cares? You hate woman anyway, right?" retorts Eisuke.

"That's right. Eisuke totally set Soryu up." inserts Ota. "And you can't be cold to the daughter of an Italian mob boss either."

"Even Eisuke has trouble dealing with some people, though."

"I wouldn't even call her a person." scowls Eisuke.

"Hey ..." starts Ota.

Suddenly, the conversation stops and all eyes turn to me and Eisuke.