Chapter 21

"Hey, Eisuke!" calls out Carolina in her soprano voice. "Which dress looks better on me? The dark red or the black lace?"

How many dresses does she plan on trying, anyway ... She might be a very important piece in getting this business deal to go through, but she was just plan annoying right now.

"Black is more slimming so isn't that the best one?"

"Black, hm? Well, if you like the black then that's what I'll get!"

Carolina was the daughter of Antonio Bucci, a major business contact of mine who was also the head of the Italian Mafia so Soryu, Grace and I were accompanying her on a shopping trip.

"Why do women waste so much time shopping?" I mutter to myself.

"Eh, it's probably 'cause there's never anything good to wear no matter how many times we go shopping." Apparently Grace heard me because she answers.

"What?"

"I could go shopping today for something I have tomorrow and find something I love but by tomorrow morning, I hate it."

"That doesn't even make sense."

"I know... But somehow it's the story of my life."

"Because you're crazy."

"Actually, and these are in the words of Captain Jack Sparrow, crazy people don't know they are crazy. I know I am crazy, therefore I am not a crazy person."

"... You're such an idiot, I swear."

"Of course."

Even if I tell her that, I'm thinking something completely different and I can't resist the smile forming on my face at her sarcasm though I quickly recompose myself.

"Whatever. Carolina's going to look pretty much the same no matter what she wears so I don't know why she bothers."

"Why so mean, huh?"

"I'm only stating a fact."

"Actually, you stated your opinion. Your opinion is not a fact."

"What did you say?"

"Oh, just that the weather was looking lovely today."

"Really? I thought I heard something else."

I don't even realize how immature I was being with her until Soryu interrupts our bickering.

"It's not the clothes she wants, Eisuke. She wants you to choose for her."

He thinks it's my problem? Ha. Can't wait to see his face when I get her to fall for him instead. Just the thought of that brings a smirk to my face.

"Nonsense. I don't care how other people are dressed."

"I'm just glad they carry her size here ... You have any idea how embarrassing it would be to walk around Ginza with that girl?" he says, rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

While we wait for Carolina to finish changing, I casually look around the store. The clothes here aren't that bad, actually. A sudden glint catches my attention and curiosity moves my feet towards the display case where it came from. Turns out, it's a simple platinum ring.

My eyes wander towards Grace, who has been looking bored out of her mind since we got here. Glancing at her hands, I realize that she isn't wearing any rings. The jewelry I have her wear for the IVC is too flashy to wear for everyday things, plus a simple ring like this would look better on her delicate, slender fingers than the bulky ones. If she's supposed to be my woman, it would be strange for her to not where any jewelry.