3 Months Later

“I don’t fucking understand it!” Lindsey paced back and forth Keith’s living room, his face red with anger. Stevie and Keith exchanged glances, knowing all to well that they needed to say the right thing or Lindsey would explode. “The critics love it! They say that ‘Buckingham Nicks is an album worth listening to’ and that we’re ‘the next big thing’. So why the fuck is the record not selling?!” Lindsey sighed angrily. He stopped pacing and sat down heavily in an armchair nearby. “I’ll go make us some drinks. Why don’t you two go for a walk or do something to calm your nerves?” Keith patted Stevie’s knee before leaving the lovers alone in his living room. Stevie watched Lindsey, her heart aching for him. Sure, she hated that the record wasn’t selling despite the good reviews. But, to be honest, she was more worried about Lindsey. Although she had written and sung on the record, he had written, sung and played various instruments. It had been his baby for the last few months and Stevie hated to see him see it fail. She stood up and crossed the room to where Lindsey sat. She put her hands on her hips. “So, you’re Lindsey Buckingham, right?” Stevie asked, repeating the first words Lindsey had ever said to her. Lindsey looked at her out of the corner of his eye, remembering their first meeting. The corner of his mouth twitched with amusement, though he was in no mood to smile. “May I?” Stevie asked, continuing to mirror their first conversation. “Sure.” Lindsey said quietly, not wanted to play along but needed Stevie’s touch to conform him. Stevie sat on his lap and laid her head in the crook of his neck. He put his arms around her, thankful that she was finally close to him. She smiled sadly as she played with his hands. “Baby, it’ll be okay. You’ll see. Things will get better. I just know they will.” “How do you know that, Stevie? Huh? How can you be sure?” Stevie turned her head slightly and kissed Lindsey’s exposed chest area. “Because it’s us. No matter what shit we go through, we always come out of it clean.” They looked at each other. “Don’t worry, Linds. We’ll be fine.” Stevie added comfortingly, caressing Lindsey’s stubbly cheek. Lindsey nodded, fighting the tears that threatened to overflow. As he kissed the love of his life, Lindsey wondered how he had ever gotten so lucky or be blessed enough to find Stevie. ‘What would I do without her?’ He thought.