Luke Confesses His Feelings

They're fighting again.

It's the same every night, Dad comes home tipsy and starts off another massive argument with Mum. You're too scared to leave your room.

You sigh sadly and roll over onto your side, on your bed. A soft knocking comes at the door. You know who it is instantly, the yelling is still coming from downstairs so there's only one other person it could be.   

You open the door to your wide eyed younger brother. He's 5 and too young to understand.   

"I'm scared." He whispers. You kneel down and open your arms so he can hug which he does, very tightly.   

"I know honey, it'll be over soon." You whisper softly. "Come on." You lift him up an carry him over to the bed, sitting beside him.  

"I couldn't sleep." He looks at you tearily. You just nod and kiss him on the forehead.   

That's when you spot the light at Luke's window. Your windows are facing each other inches apart because his parents decided to extend the house sideways when he was born so he could have his own bedroom.   

"How about we say hi to Luke?"  

You brother nods eagerly and you open the window and bang on Luke's. A moment later he appears, grinning. He opens it. "You okay?"  

"What do you think?" You raise your eyebrows and wait for him to hear the shouting coming from downstairs.   

"Oh." He furrows his eyebrows. "Come on over, my parents are out."  

"Thanks." You smile at him appreciatively. "Mind if I bring a little someone?" You point at the 5 year old perching on the bed beside you.   

"Sure." Luke smiles.   

First you pass over your brother and then Luke helps you over. He shuts the window behind you and a calm silence fills the room. You sigh in relief and watch your baby brother lie down on the bed, visibly tired. "Is it alright if he..."  

"Of course!" Luke pulls out a blanket and covers the small boy who snuggles into a pillow. You watch him for a minute, pondering.   

"He always feels so much safer here." You think aloud. "Maybe it's because he saw you knock that guy off his feet when he called me fat." You laugh quietly to yourself. Luke is always there for you, without fail. You appreciate that so much.   

The emotions finally overwhelm you. You break down sobbing, falling to a sitting position with your back leaning against the side of the bed. Before you know it Luke is beside you. "Hey, hey don't cry. It's going to be okay."  

Your sobbing is uncontrollable so you only manage to shake you head.   

"It is. I promise." He puts his arm around your shoulders and pulls you closer. You bury your face into his chest and cry a little more.   

"Luke, everything is so bad right now. My parents are at each others throats, my grades are going down and... And the boy I like doesn't like me back." You whisper the last part, hating that it is the truth.   

"How could he not like you back?" Luke seemed genuinely confused. He blatantly didn't understand the feeling.   

"Can we just leave it?"  

"I guess." Luke looked away, he seemed downhearted. You decide it's probably best to keep the conversation going.   

"Isn't there anyone you like?" You know you're not going to like the answer. It is probably one of the pretty, plastic, skinny girls at school. If you ever saw him with one of them it'd make you want to rip you eyes out.   

He looks at you for a moment's pause, before replying, "Yeah. I like someone."  

You look at him for a few seconds expecting him to continue, but he doesn't. "Well...? Who is it?"  

Luke laughed and looked at the ground smiling thoughtfully. "I can't tell you that."  

"And why not?" You raise your eyebrows.   

"Because you'd probably tell her." He said laughing quietly, still not making eye contact.   

"Why don't you tell her?"  

"No, I can't."  

"Why not?"  

"I just can't."  

"Luuuuke, c'mon c'mon!"  

"Please don't..."  

"Tell her-" Suddenly he cuts you off by pressing his lips firmly against yours. You pull away at first in shock, but soon ease into the gentle kiss.   

This is everything you have ever dreamed of. Ever since you were 12 and you moved in next door to him and you saw him through your bedroom window for the first time. It is finally happening.   

After what seems like a lifetime Luke pulls away, visibly nervous. "Well... What does she think?"  

You giggle, flinging your arms around his neck to kiss him again.