Chapter 23: Surprises

Standing outside of the family home, I say my goodbyes to my mother and siblings. My father was nowhere to be found. It was later in the evening; I figured that I had best go back to college instead of staying at home, where there is so much tension between my father and me. I did not like that at all.

"Come on!" The impatient cab driver hurries me.

Her mother and Sydnie give the cab driver a dirty look. He ignores it and gets back in the cab.

"Do you have to leave so early, Sirrah?" Nick asks with a whine.

"I know. You just got here." Zander agrees with Nick.

"I know, but I have work to catch up on." I lie to them.

"We understand," Sydnie says cradling Brynn who is sucking on his fingers and cooing.

The garage goes up and we turn to it. My father appears and ambles towards me. He gives me the tightest hug and then hands me a pair of keys.

I observe the keys and looks from my father to my mother then back to my father with a questionable expression.

He tilts his head towards the garage. I amble up the slope and enters the garage to find a deep cherry red crystal pearl 2015 compass sport jeep with a huge black bow on its hood. My eye go round in surprise at the new jeep, I hug my father and mother.

"Thank you," I say my voice breaking.

They hug me back. I get in the jeep and the new jeep smell hits my nose. I inhale it and look at all of the new buttons and car seats in my jeep; I do not know what half of this stuff does. I hear my backdoor open and sees Nick putting my things in the backseat, and closes the door.

"This is amazing, guys," I beam rubbing the steering wheel.

"Newest on the lot, Sirrah. Paid in full. I know you are responsible enough and you pay attention to the road..." He turns to Sydnie.

Sydnie arches her brow at her father. "HEY! That was one time and not my fault, dad."

He chuckles, "Of course not. But," He turns to me. "You be careful and remember what I said about that boy."

I frown remembering our early morning talk. "Alright, father." I carefully back out of the garage but my father stops me. 

"Sirrah, wait. I need to talk to you."

I stop, "about what?" 

"Sweetie, maybe now is not the time."

My father looks back at my mother, "We've got to tell her."

"Tell me what?"