Chapter 14: Lights....Action

On Wednesday, since I didn't have any classes. I decide to go to the modeling building. I am standing in front of the Atlanta Modeling and Training building looking up at it in horror. I am still not too sure that I am cut out for this. 

Maybe, I should have asked Visellia to come with me, I think. I enter the building and is instantly greeted by Ella and the bustling noise of the place and people.

"Happy Wednesday, Sirrah. I am glad you could make it. Also, happy that you have accepted this opportunity with us. How are you?" Ella beams with excitement, she is more excited about this than I am.

"Yes and thank you. I am happy but a little nervous as well." I admit.

"Aww, that's okay. The newcomers are always nervous, but most of them do very well." Ella tells me as she begins to give me the tour of the building and staff. We soon enter a dressing room complete with makeup artist and a full line of the new fall clothing line.

"Ms. Katherine will do your makeup and help you choose your clothes for you," Ella says exiting the room leaving me with Ms. Katherine.

Ms. Kathrine; a red-headed, 30 something-year-old female pats the chair in front of her and I sit down in the chair.

 "So, you are one of the new ones?" Ms. Katherine greets with a northern accent and begins on my eyeliner.

"How many are there?" I ask trying to keep still so I would not be poked in the eye by the pencil.

"Just three. You are the first one to show up, though. Sometimes, they think it's a soft porn industry and back out. But. . . this is a business we run here and that is not what we do." Ms. Katherine explains to me easing my nerves a little.

"I guess they watch too much television." I joke.

Ms. Katherine titters, "Maybe so. Or afraid they are going to get stalked." She says moving on to the other eye. "But, none of that happens here. Well," She rethinks her choice of words. "Maybe once. But, she egged it on thinking it was cute."

I shake my head then stop realizing I am getting my makeup done, still. It was hard to sit there and have someone else do my makeup. Ms. Katherine was doing a lot of dipping with the make-up brush and dusting my face with it, lightly. She would then move back to my eyeliner and put some on the top of my eyes. 

Soon as my makeup is finished, Ms. Katherine helps me pick my outfit out and shoes to go with it. I do a once over of myself in the mirror. I have eyeliner, a small dust of powder, and a bit of mascara on, making my eyelashes pop as if I have on fake eyelashes. I have seen Sydnie wear them every once in a while to impress Brent when they first started dating. I feel like and look like a very different person.

"You look awesome." Ms. Katherine exclaims joyfully observing her make-up skills.

"Thank you," I say turning left then right to check myself out from every angle.

Since the trial, a lot has changed with me such as being comfortable in my own skin and confident. I still have some problems with my dark skin tone, but not to the point where I would want to bleach my skin anymore. However, sometimes it gets really hard. Being a model would have never crossed my mind back in high school.

"Alright. Let's get you to your photo shoot." Ms. Katherine says leading the way.

 I hear a little commotion in the lobby and sees that the other models have arrived barely on time. Ella tells them that they might want to rethink being a model if they cannot get to places on time. One of them leaves in a rage hollering about how she has enough money to put them out of business, and another rolls her eyes and shrugs her boney shoulders.

Entering the photo room, there are cameras everywhere, a huge white background, and a huge fan off to the side. I turn to Ms. Katherine looking worried and kind of out of place.

"Don't worry, Sirrah. You will do just fine. Just keep your back straight and watch the director." Ms. Katherine points to the photographer.

The photographer; older male waves at me with a welcoming smile. I wave back with sweaty palms and a nervous smile.

"He is Myers Wolf; greatest photographer around here. He can make an ugly dame look like money." Ms. Katherine smiles.

I giggle.

Ms. Katherine laughs," I can stay and watch if you like?"

"Please?"

Ms. Katherine nods and sits off to the side just behind the camera. Myers claps his hands for everyone to get into position, the staff bustles to get into their positions for the photo shoot.

"Sirrah." He motions me to step in front of the white background.

I walk to the background and Myers positions his camera, "Relax and give me your personality."

I did not know what to do, but Myers started snapping pictures.

"That is wonderful, Sirrah." He encourages while moving to take pictures from different angles. I begin to smile and move freely, but not too much where the photo would come up blurry.

"Fan." Myers cues.

Someone switches the fan on and a light breeze blows through my hair. I squint through the breeze and blink a few times to adjust to the wind. More photos are taken and afterward, I go to see the photos of myself. Myers nods with acceptance of the photos.

"Wow." I exclaim and grin proudly at the pictures of myself.

"So, tell me, Sirrah. Which one do you like the best?" Myers asks flipping through the pictures slowly so that I can pick the ones I love best.

They all look the same, I think as I look at the pictures. Seeing my beauty in the pictures was overwhelming and could not understand why people could not see past my skin color and see . . . me.

"I like number five and twelve." I point out.

Myers ushers for my pictures to be printed out for me. I beams once I am handed the photos.