Chapter 4: Friends

I enter into my townhouse, kicking my shoes off at the door and carrying my book bag to my room. I peak in Visellia's room to see if she is there and her room is empty. My room is equipped with a full-sized bed, dresser, small closet, bathroom, and a small desk. Visellia's room is the same way but Visellia's room walls are decorated with posters of rock bands and hot rock people. While my walls are, bear with only a medium sized photo of Sydnie, Brent, and Zamari. I smile at the photo.

"I miss you guys." I say then realizes there was mail on the kitchen counter.

 I jump up excitedly and goes to check the mail on the kitchen counter. Nothing from Cole, disappointment and worry begin to settle in on my face. I do find a letter from my father, mother, and Sydnie. 

This marks the third month he has not responded to any of my letters. What also makes it so bad is that today is supposed to be our first year anniversary.

I sit on the chair in the kitchen, feeling defeated. I thought things would be the same when he went off to Florida, he promised things would not change and that he would do everything in his power to make it work.

I gather myself together, go back to my room, and begins to drown myself in my homework and future class assignments.

"I can't think about this right now," I say to myself tapping my pen on my notebook.

Around 8:16pm, I can hear Visellia entering the apartment. I go to the edge of the bed and peek out at Visellia. Visellia kicks off her black pumps and limps to my room. She sits at the desk chair in my room and begins to rub her aching feet.

"No classes on Friday. Praise the Heavens." Visellia shouts.

I smile. "I know right." I appreciated the three-day weekends because having classes all day can really take a toll on a person's mind and body.

"So, Cayne, Rory, and Shi are going to be joining us on Friday."

I nod not knowing who they are. I don't understand what Andy was talking about earlier. Visellia isn't one of the Goths that do all that cutting and depression crap. And she barely dresses in black, she only does that when she is going to a rave or something of that nature. Andy would know that if she would just get to know Visellia like I have. But, Andy is refusing to do that. 

Visellia speaks highly of them all the time as if they are her own family. Visellia does not really have much of a family, I found out my first night I was assigned to the apartment with Visellia. Visellia told me that her mother is a drug user who sold Visellia to her auntie when Visellia was only a few months old. She also does not know her father and never went looking for him.

"Don't worry. They are real cool people." Visellia states seeing the worried look on Sirrah's face continuing to rub her feet. "UGH! A foot massage would be great right now. Damn you, Kyle for wanting to go to a different college." She playfully curses her husband of only a few months while shaking her fist in the air.

We both giggle.