Chapter 33

With Effie out of the way and Almond a little worse for wear, Sebastian whisked me off to the portal room. Apparently the reception wasn’t a thing here. Now I wish I had mentioned it to the seven.

“Where are we going?” I asked Sebastian struggling with the drag of the dress.

“Just a little detour,” he pulled me along through a lit portal. The warm water instantly told me we were in the tropics. We went to the surface to see a tiny island in the distance. “This is probably the mers’ most favourite place topside,” he grinned. “Plus they have pineapples.”

We swam closer to little sand bar island, music pumping out of speakers. There were little twinkling fairy lights and I could make out something moving.

“Yo Blue mon, back already,” waved a Jamaican. Oh so Sebastian was my ‘something blue’ that was cute. As we neared the shore there was a little tiki bar with fairy lights and speakers. The Jamaican suddenly walked in front of us. He walked! Human? “Ah this ya singa mon?” he asked in a heavy accent. Sebastian nodded and proceeded help me up the shore to the little stools of the tiki bar.

“One usally comes during high tide,” Sebastian explained to me. This had been the first time I had been on the land since the day I met him. But it didn’t feel as spectacular as I thought it would.

“Yo dar, you halfling to?” the man asked. I bolted my head up. He was a Halfling? He had legs! Long dark useable legs.

This is Remi, he owns the best bar in the world…well at least in the mer world.” Sebastian beamed. Legs…am I the only one seeing legs? “You do realise being a Halfling is rare and it’s very unpredictable on how each who experience the pools turns out,” he continued reading my thoughts.

“Ya mon, once mi in the water, I got de fins. So mon what will ya ave?” Remi asked.

“I’ll have the pineapple and can we borrow your laptop?” Sebastian asked taking a seat next to me with the creepy tiki head staring him down. Remi nodded and disappear.

“So this is where you get your pineapples,” I giggled tapping my fingers on the table. Remi returned with a laptop and log it on for me before making Sebastian’s drink. I quickly logged onto Skype happy to find Paul was already on. It wasn’t long till his face flicked onto the screen.

“OH MY GOD SIS!” he screamed out making everyone jump. “You’re married?” I nodded smiling. There was some sudden noise from his end and then the monster from the past appear on my screen followed by a deafening scream. Geez mum it’s not the end of the world.

“Red! She has red hair, after all the precautions and money we had put into making sure you wouldn’t get red hair! Why did you have to dye it that colour?” mum said hysterical.

“It’s nice to see you to mum, and by the way it’s real oh and I’m married” I answered as calmly as I could. She was the last person I had wanted to see. She suddenly glared at the screen.

“Ooh you have no idea about all the precautions me and your father went through…” she growled. again