Chapter 16

Re Written: 28.3.13

tell me if you like it.

____

Dear Sebastian,

I’ve made it along with Viola to the ‘Maidens Institute of Fine Etiquette’ somewhere in Europe, Switzerland I think. I’m sure I can’t be the only one freezing here. Did you know all the other girls are related, they’re Viola’s cousins and relatives, all nine of them. But Viola is by far the prettiest of them all, but she clings to me and remains silent the whole time.

It’s like they don’t know each other. Or are they all just being mean? Also I just found out that only the selective few get into this school, mostly with some connection to the throne.

Why did Ava send me here? Also why Effie? She makes it clear she doesn’t like it here and as soon as she was out of Ava’s sight she has been causing trouble for the rest of us.

Sorry to keep this short but, Ms Taringa is calling us to ensemble in the dining room. I hope this fish knows where it’s going.

~Aubrey.

My dearest Aubrey,

Yes, I know the place you are talking about. I’ll try and get through your questions so bear with me.

As for you being cold, I never thought to tell you this but, your colouring gives you away as being a tropical fish. Probably why you liked swimming in Australia so much. Also I am quite aware of the exclusiveness of the Institute, you are there because of being engaged to a Count. Effie id there because she overstepped the line of acceptable and Ava wishes for Ms Taringa to ‘knock that attitude right out of her system’, Ava’s words not mine. As for Viola; she and her sisters really don’t get that much exposure to other mers, even within their own family, hence why she clings to you.

Don’t be too harsh on the other girls for being that way. Also I’m surprised you hadn’t noticed, Viola has always been silent around you. She is partly siren and therefore has one of the most amazing singing voices and preserves it for concerts only. We will be attending one in a months’ time.

As for Effie, just remain your sweet beautiful self, and don’t come home with an arm missing or something. I’ve got to keep this letter short for the Messenger trawl. Miss you.

~Sebastian.

Sebastian,

Remember that time I got lost in the palace? Well I had found my way into some old library where I met this beautiful old mer, Genevieve. You never told me she was your great grandmother! Or that she is the principal of this school! She’s going to murder me, she is nothing like she was in the library. She glares at me probably thinking I’m some sort of harlot trying to take her grandson away from her.

As for classes, they are boring. We, even including Effie, already know which fork to use and all the basic dinner table manners. Mother was quite strict on proper etiquette and behaviour when I was little. Teaching me my knife and fork before, teaching me to tie my shoes.

Looking at the other courses, it is pretty much the same stuff mum has been shoving down my throat since I was four. But it was more for being a high class business woman than a proper posh gentle lady. Though i will admit although I have learnt about planning and the running of events, I have never actually held one. The beauty courses will be new to me, and I actually might learn how to look pretty for once. But I have nothing against the others. I love how everyone, is beautiful under the ocean. A topside duck like me has got no chance against a swan mermaid.