Chapter 8

I'm sorry in advance, my article skills are very much to be desired. (if someone would like to rewrite a better version of the newspaper article, PM me.) Don't murder me

_________________________________

I looked at the newspaper in my hands. It was the popular gossip column which read:

‘”Temptress in Red”

Count Sebastian Vischer, voted as Atlantis’ #1 most eligible bachelor has finally found his singer in the newly formed Miss Aubrey Bulla. The young graceful beauty has attracted much attention in the last week as the mystery mer. But once meeting her we can safely say, she and Vischer are quite the couple. From our short interview we found out that although she is a peaceful and quiet Halfling, she has no problem standing up to our Sebastian’s reining command. In the short weeks she has also befriended the Seven Daughters of Atlantis. “She’s really nice and makes the best biscuits every,” says Dominique, the youngest of the sisters. “She is quite grown up for such a young age, and I feel she is a suitable match for our friend. She is reserved and knowledgeable and my sisters and I will be sure to continue our friendship in the future,” states Irena, the eldest.

The red head is also noted for her unique colouration, quite a rare sight, especially amongst the few Halflings. With a unique multi coloured sheen, it’s quite a spectacular sight to behold. Hold onto you partners ladies, the Temptress is in town, and she’s making a splash.

What we thought:

From the few minutes spent with her I found Aubrey to be an interesting character, in that what you see is not necessarily all you get. Her hair is not the only thing fiery about her, let me tell you. She is funny and witty and is willing to learn about our world bringing with her a flare from Topside. She with no doubt a better catch than Sebastian’s former partner. And with that body, Oh yeah yes, she’s going to be a lot of fun. I also found her quite reserved as she is as found out in the photography shoot. But I have to say mermaids you are not the only one going to have to hold onto your partner, but Sebastian better hold on to his. There’s a mob of admirers coming your way, Aubrey.

Written by, Earl’

I had to blink a few times to grasp what I had just read. I was a Temptress? I burst out laughing. I looked at my picture it was the one with Sebastian caressing my face. My body looked smooth and airbrushed. But I had somehow played both the innocent and sexy look. I turned back to Sebastian who didn’t look happy.

“They did a real good job with the airbrushed look?” I pointed to the picture. Sebastian looked at me in confusion.

“Do you paint yourself with air back home?” he asked. I giggled and shook my head. “So the newspapers didn’t Photoshop me or anything?” I asked surprised, looking back at the photograph.

“The photo hasn’t been tampered with if that’s what you mean.” I waved a submissive hand.

“There’s no way I look like that, have you seen my school ID, it’s terrible. I always look washed out and…” Sebastian leaned over and kissed me.

“Believe me, you are beautiful, and you really know how to cook,” he smiled taking another stab at his pasta devouring it in seconds. “I swear, with you feeding me, I’ll have to join a gym. I blushed forgetting to turn away to hide it. I got up to take his plate. He placed his hands gently on my waist and pulled me onto his lap and cuddled me. I played with his hands. Placing my hand up against his I noticed how tiny I was compared to him. My fingers were short, slender, and slowly losing their tan. He wrapped his hand around my wrist leaving a massive gap that he slid halfway up my forearm. I did the same but was short by a few centimetres. I studied his hands; unlike my uncle’s rough hardworking hands, his were soft and smooth, but all the same, were manly. He had half a dozen random freckles spaced up his arm that contrasted against his pale skin. I followed his arm up to his shoulders. I pushed my finger against a bulgy part. He flexed his broad shoulder a little proving it was indeed hunky muscle. I instantly snapped my hand back to my chest and he chuckled in my ear.

He rubbed his face in my hair wrapping his large arms tighter around my tiny waist. I remember someone had once mentioned I was lucky to be so thin. Was I always this thin? Thinner I think, it was kind of hard to remember as it never came to my attention. I reached over across the table, Sebastian loosening a little, for me to grab my plate and begin eating. Boy I was good, this was delicious. I devoured it within minutes.

“Want more?” I asked breaking the silence, still feeling hunger. I could easily match Sebastian in proportions, though it had started decreasing. He didn’t answer so I took it as a yes. I shifted to move forward but he held me fast. “Sebs you’re gonna have to let me go,” I tried pushing forward. He ran his finger up the bear skin of my shoulders and to the top of my spine making me freeze. I heard him undoing my top. My hands quickly pressed against my chest. “What are you doing?” I asked horrified.

“I’ve never seen your back,” he replied innocently. I turned to face him shocked.

“You haven’t seen a lot of things and you don’t need to,” I yelled using one hand pushing at his face while clasping at my chest to stop my top from slipping. He ignored me and ran his finger down my bare back and across my back tracing my scar, sending a shiver down my spine. I flailed my arm behind me trying to knock his hand away. “Stop it,” I cried trying to free myself. He ran his finger up and down my spine tracing the contours before returning to the scar. I felt his hand move to the sides of my body. “You promised you weren’t going to try anything!” I yelled closing my eyes. He suddenly let go and I swam to the other side of the room, if I could cry I would, but my tears dissolved into the water. I bolted up stairs, redid my top and hid in the wardrobe, and curled up. I grabbed one of Sebastian’s coats hanging above my head and wrapped it around myself. What you needed coats here for, was beyond me. I held my sobs biting my lip, but my body continued jerked violently.

Twenty minutes had passed and Sebastian knocked on the wardrobe door. I jumped in surprise and peeped out through the gap between the doors.

“Aubrey?” he asked. I stayed silent. The light through the gap diminished as he sat down in front of it. “Aubrey, please come out?” he pleaded softly. I shook my head, knowing he wouldn’t be able to see it.

“Go away,” I whined back sounding exactly like the teenager I was. He slowly opened the door and looked at me. He gently smiled as he reached his hand out to me. I flinched back a little, closing my eyes. I opened to see his paused hand slowly drop, a wave of sadness washed over him. He turned and laid against the wall tilting his head back with a sigh closing his eyes. He smoothed the furrows between his eyes before letting his hand flop to his side, as he let out another sigh.

“I’m sorry Aubrey. Really. I was just…ahh,” he paused searching for the right word. “…fascinated, err I mean curious.” He tried to explain. I hiccupped another sob and he turned to look back at me where I pulled his jacket tighter. His head drooped. “I honestly didn’t mean to make you feel…err…I should have…uhh…sorry,” he stumbled.

“I would just like to be alone right now,” I whispered, my hand dating out from under the jacket to close the door.

“Aubrey wait, I...,” The door clicked shut, cutting him off. I could still clearly hear him breathing on the other side. He thumped the wall with his fist in frustration, sighing once again. “One step forward two steps back,” he whispered to himself.

I slid my hand to my back and rubbed where my scar was. So many painful memories; I hiccupped another sob. This day was so screwed up. First I felt so alone then all I wanted was to be alone. I uncurled a little. What was wrong with me?

_________________________________

Please put the pitch forks down....

Anyway this is a bit of a weird chapter I know. Will Aubrey forgive Sebastian? Will she keep her terrible Minyorni? Will she forever stay in that wardrob? And will i be able to write a better article...(no)

Tune in next time on 'Marrying Atlantis' (don't pay attention to that questioning guffle above)