Chapter 17

<---If you missed update, check it out now

---

We were all lined up in the auditorium all looking fabulous. It may have only been a week but I felt exhausted but with a hint of accomplishment. After all we were now ‘accomplished ladies’. When I say all, I mean all but Effie and one other girl, who would be staying another week. But to be honest all those extra courses Genevieve made me do, until I got it correct were harsh. Why was I the only one she picked on? Why did everyone else get to go to bed for their beauty sleep while I had to spend hours of sitting properly and setting formal dining settings, and hours spent with my hunky nameless dance partner. Not that I’m complaining about my dance partner, awww.

“Countess Aubrey Bulla Vischer,” Genevieve called. What did she call me? I looked down the line and gave her a confused look. I took a quick glance at the crowd searching for a familiar face. Ava was the only distinctive guest that I could recognise. I took a deep breath trying to keep my timidness in check and swam over to receive my graduation scroll. “Congratulations, on your high achievement,” she smiled we both smiled as the camera flashed. It would probably make front page news. I was about to return but she discreetly held me there. Talking through her smiling teeth she whispered. “Welcome to the family dearie, we have much to talk about.” She shook my hand and let me return to my place as the next girl came up.

What were we going to talk about? Was I even fit to be her great granddaughter-in-law? All those harsh words telling me I needed to be and do better. Was she finally about to murder me? I felt a squeeze against my hand, and I turned to see Viola, looking wonderful in purple. She remained silent but gave me an encouraging smile before clinging to my arm as we left the stage. During the week she had found some attachment to me, similar to Dominique’s seahorse. Viola had also done well but had been told off countless times for tapping out some beat on the table or for wearing her headphones in during class nodding her head to the rhythm. But what surprised me most, was I never had a problem with talking to her. Somehow even if she never spoke I knew what her answers were.

With the ceremony was finally over, everyone dispersed into smaller groups of friends and family who had come to see them graduate. Ava instantly wrapped her slender self around me.

“Not bad Halfling, not bad. How do you like your dear grandmamma-in-law?” she asked. A sick feeling ran through me.

“She terrifies me,” I admitted followed by Ava bursting into laughter her whole body rumbling, shaking me.

“Oh yes yes, that sounds about right,” we both turned to the sound of squeals of the eldest five sisters surrounding Viola all hugging her. All six started talking at once, all overlapping each other congratulating little Viola. Only Dominique was quite, as she didn’t quite understand what the big deal was.

“It’s just school,” she said the others all turned to her shocked.

“When you get here in a couple of years you’ll find out what sort of hell this place is. It’s amazing that Viola made it through the first week. I had to stay an extra three weeks,” Harper the sporty one explained.

“Looks like it the lessons didn’t stay long,” Lena, the pretty one responded. There must have been a joke somewhere there, as they all started laughing. Ava shook her head in disappointment.

“They will forever remain stupid. Now where’s Effie?” she asked looking around expecting to see her. “I didn’t see her at the ceremony. Where’s my good old friend Genny?” she suddenly dropped me and took off to find the devil.

I looked around trying to find Sebastian through the crowd. Where was he? He was supposed to be here.

“Hey Aubrey,” the twins said in unison followed by the rest of the sisters. I was then swamped by their bodies all trying to hug me. When they finally got off me and my back had stopped stinging. I looked up at all their smiley faces.

“You look beautiful, love the earrings, they match your minyorni, very nicely,” Lena smiled giving them a little flick. “Black pearls, very nice. So Countess, when’s the wedding?” I practically fell over backwards. First Temptress now Countess. Even here I was still considered the Temptress, hounded by ever merman in the area. Even the hot dance partners, not that I’m complaining, were fighting over me. Not to mention the waiters, cooks and the grounds keeper.

“Ah?” was all I could manage when someone called to me. I turned to see Genevieve who indicated for me to come to her. I quickly excused myself from them and prepared myself for the onslaught.

I gently shut the door behind me and turned to find her sitting at her desk. She held in her hands a photograph set into an intricate golden frame. Her face looked tired and older than usual. She gazed into the picture with a gentle smile, like the one when we first met.

“Dearie you remember when we first met in the library I told you that Sebastian had been searching a long time for you?” she asked. I nodded coming closer. She turned and finally looked up at me. “The day you set foot in the ocean, you were three years old, I assume. Sebastian knew he had a singer. Not everyone has one you know. He was seven at the time, I can remember him coming to me, all wide eyes with the biggest grin on his face. Telling me he would marry a really pretty girl. At the time he didn’t know what that feeling meant. But he seems much happier now that you’re here.” She smiled looking back at the photo. She turned it towards me so I could see the pair of tiny mers smiling at me.

“Aww he was so cute, is that his brother?” I asked pointing to the older one on the left.

“Yes, he’s a lawyer or was it a judge? My memory is failing me. The point is you two were made for each other, and destined to be together” she smiled kindly placing the photograph back on her desk.

“But isn’t that unfair. It’s like I get no say in who I want to be with. Life isn’t a fairy tale. And if he knew I existed and wanted me so bad, why was he with this Nicole chick and why doesn’t he reply to my messages. He’s not even here” Did I sound like a jealous girlfriend or what?

“Don’t be stupid,” she snapped at me, reminding me of her horrible Ms Taringa side. “Nicole was a horrible tart of a woman, don’t even compare yourself to her. It was out of mere pity that they were together. God only know why. As for the messengers, that was my doing.” I stared at her shocked. “Anyway if you did have the choice, who would you pick?” she asked her voice softening.

Who would I pick? I would pick the guy who gave me all his attention and loved me for me. I paused as a flash of realization washed over me. I snuck a glance at her, You can definitely see the family resemblance. She was looking exactly like Sebastian with that smug look. Damn Genevieve, she already knew what I was thinking.

“That’s not the point,” I began. She sat up and leaned over the table rudely cutting me off.

“But it is dearie, and you know it. Now stop your squabbling, this is not the girl I spent all my hours training for the last a week. I’m not getting any younger, and I want to see my great great grandchildren…”

“Genevieve!” I said shocked. “I expected better of you, than to talk like that,” she looked at me and we both burst into laughter,

“Now huddle close dearie, when you next see Sebastian I want you to do the following…” She smiled wickedly. Now I was seriously scared.

______

Yay double upload!!!

Genevieve  isn't all that bad, a bit bossy, but she has her reasons.

I tried find a pic of an old mermaid, impossible, so here is an old photo of Genevieve  when she was a youngster. ---> 

[ http://bklh362.deviantart.com/art/Mermaid-254472513 ]