Chapter 4- Catching Feelings

Niall:

I glanced up at the clock on the wall. I only had 20 minutes until the game. I was literally shaking out of fear. I hated being infront of people, espeacially people that hated me and I hated knowing that they could all see how awkward I looked or how uncoordinated I am when it comes to me and the ball.

"Ready Horan?" James said clapping me lightly on the back. I flashed him a forced smile and nodded as I shoved my duffle bag into my rarely used locker. Most pratices I didn't even change because I knew I would be on the bench the whole time.

"Alright lads!" Harry said jogging into the room. "Full house tonight." He beamed. I couldn't help but smile a bit at how excited he was. He truly was the only reason I was doing this, plus I was excited about going to his house tonight, just to see how things would play out.

Throughout the past week I had been getting these vibes from him. Like that he might fancy me. But obviously it couldn't be true! He texts me every night and every morning. He always smiles when he sees me and he goes out of his way to spend time with me. Heck I was wearing his necklace right now! That has got to mean something. More than something. Or maybe it meant nothing at all.

His eyes caught mine and flashed me a quick wink sending my heart into overdrive. Jesus Styles, I was already nervous enough. I shut my locker quietly and went to join the rest of the boys that surrounded Harry and the coach.

"Brocks out tonight, he says he's got the flu. But we don't have to worry about that we've got Horan." Harry said looking right at me. His eyes seemed to bore their way right through my body and into my heart.

"Tonight is our last game lads." He said solemnly. "We have to do this, I know we can do this. We've got what it takes, we've got who it takes, and we know how this is going to end." His words seemed to send shivers down my spine. He was so inspiring. Maybe I'd have to tell him that when I got a chance tonight. Or maybe not. I should probably keep that to myself. He might think I'm weird.

"The only regret I have for this season is not getting to know my team...and I mean my whole team. I neglected to pay attention to not only our best player but one of my now good friends." He said his eyes flickering back to me.

"Yeah Horan!" Someone hooted. I felt a blush come to my cheeks and this time it wasn't because of Harry. My heart swelled with self pride at the fact that these boys actually respected me. Maybe I wasn't so bad after all.

"Alright, let's do this." The coach shouted. Everyone broke out in cheers as we huddled together. "Line it up boys."

"Horan." Harry shouted. "Up here."

I followed his orders and took my place right beside him.

"How are you feeling?" He asked his voice suddenly softer than before.

"Nervous as hell." I mumbled.

He smiled and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. As we began walking out towards the field I felt my heart sink into the pit of my stomach.

Harry inclined his head towards me, so close I could almost feel his lips against my ear. "I can't wait until tonight." He whispered. I sucked in a quick breath as I felt my heart slam back up into my chest.

What did that mean? God only knows.

Next thing I knew the sun was shining brightly in my eyes and the crowd was cheering loudly. Harry disconnected himself from me and broke into a run. We took our positions on the field and waited for the whistle to sound.

By the second half I had no idea what the score was. The only thing I was aware of was the sweat dripping down my forehead and the ball. I was so focused I didn't even notice that I had stolen the game and put us ahead by 13 points. I just wanted to be good enough for Harry. That was all I cared about.