Wait

Lucy sighed as she tied the bandits with a special rope from the celestial world. Beside her, Natsu grinned with glee as he laughed.

"Yosh!" he exclaimed, "That was a fun job!"

"Natsu," brown eyes fixed him with a stoic stare, "You nearly blew away the pier because your dumb ass couldn't control your own fire." She quipped as she dusted her clothes.

"Oi, I'm not a dumbass."

"Not a dumbass, I called you a dumb ass. There's a difference, hothead."

"Luceee," Natsu whined, "There isn't."

Lucy groaned before she began to walk towards the newly arrived Rune Knights, "I'm beginning to doubt this partnership."

"Oi, Lucy! Take that back!"

"Whiny Hothead."

"Eh? Now you're just being a meanie."

---

Despite Natsu's lack of control over his strength, he was a fun person to be with. Or maybe it was just because he was willing to do anything for her.

"So, all we gotta do is get these crates to the other side of the city, Luce?" The dragon slayer asked his blonde partner.

The Celestial mage nodded, "And we get 15,000 jewels each. I guess its a fair price."

Natsu looked at the two small crates on his hands, "The crates are small anyway, so this is gonna be easy!"

Lucy smiled in agreement. 'And an easy way to gain money!' She thought with a grin.

The two mages walked along the street, dodging people and any stalls they could've bumped into.

The walk was surprisingly short despite the house of the client being halfway from the port. Brown eyes surveyed the flat house, "I thought it was supposed to be on the other side of Magnolia?" She asked her partner.

Natsu shrugged as he knocked on the door, "Well, it works for me."

"How convenient." She drawled.

---

Five days passed since Lucy sent her Letter to the Heartfilia Mansion with no signs of response from her human mother.

'Five days is an awful lot of time for a letter to be delayed.' Lucy frowned, 'Or maybe Mama forgot to reply to me? Hng, no. Mama would never forget about me.'

So the guild thought of a way to keep her mind out of the letter: Training.

"Ice Dragon's Roar!" Lucy roared to Natsu, who unfortunately got caught in the spell, leaving him slightly cold.

"C - cold!!" Natsu shivered, "But you forgot I'm a Fire Dragon Slayer!" Natsu flamed his body with his fire, conveniently unfreezing himself.

Lucy pouted as she went into a position of Ice make.

Gray raised an eyebrow at her stance, "She can do Ice Make?"

Levy, who was beside him, nodded. "Lu - chan said that her dragon taught her Ice make magic to support her Ice Dragon Slayer Magic."

Gray nodded in understanding. 'There goes my originality.' He sighed.

"Ice Make: Lance!" Lucy shouted as Ice appeared, attacking Natsu who dodged the spears.

"Fire Dragon's Wing attack!" Natsu attacked Lucy. Not one to sit back and take a beating, the blonde took out a golden key from her pouch.

"Open: Gate of the Bull! Taurus!" A golden magic circle appeared as a tall and muscular bull appeared carrying a large axe.

"Moooo!" Taurus yelled as he protected Lucy from the attack, "I'll protect you, Miss Lucy!"

"I'm counting on you, Taurus. " Lucy clenched her fists.

Natsu smirked, "All right! I'm all fired up!!"

---

[ 3 days ago ]

Unknown to Lucy, Layla Heartfilia had passed away last July 7, x777. Upon receiving the letter from their missing princess, the whole Heartfilia Konzern was filled with shock.

"A letter from Lucy?" Jude Heartfilia asked Spetto for confirmation. His hands briefly lowered the contract he was currently reading.

"Yes, sir. The letter arrived earlier this morning." Spetto nodded.

"From where?" Jude asked.

"Eto, according to the letter, it came from Magnolia." Spetto said.

Jude scoffed, "Send a reply for her."

Spetto nodded before asking, "Do you want me to ask her to come home, Master?"

"I could care less from that girl. She left when she was 7, what use do I have for her?" Jude replied coldly.

Spetto's eyes widened in shock, "But she's your daughter!"

"A daughter I could care less for. She left her family for a shot of adventure. She left Layla."

"B - but..."

"Do as I told you to. Send a letter for her regarding her mother. No more no less, am I understood?"

"Y...yes, Master..."

"Good. Now get out."

---

Edited: May 23, 2020