Chapter 12: No More Cake For Jake

—————————————————

"Done already?" I ask, seeing Jake exit the bathroom. 

"Yeah," he remarks. 

"Wow, I feel sorry for the next girl you have sex with," I joke. 

He looks stricken for a moment but he laughs anyway. "Shut up, Rico." 

"Even I can last longer than that," I playfully tease.

"How do you know that?" 

I smirk. "I just know." 

"Well, just so you know, I didn't jack off." 

"You didn't?" 

He shook his head. "All I had to think about was you and I quickly became deflated." 

My smile diminishes. "Of course, because I'm a guy and you're not into guys," I state, with a chuckle to cover my frown. 

He's not into guys. 

~*~

"Want to play a board game?" Jake asks. 

"No." I walk around until I spot the cake that's still untouched. 

"Rico, what are you doing?" 

"I think I'm about to get some cake," I answer, "I don't want it going to waste. Want a piece?"

"Sure."

I cut him and I a piece into the cake but stare at it. "We don't have any forks," I comment, "Or plates." 

"So, we'll eat it with our hands."

I nod in compliance, despite my dislike of getting my hands dirty. I lift up his piece in one hand and mine in the other. Once I'm in front of him, I hand him his piece and he stuffs it in his mouth. 

After I'm done with my piece, Jake snaps his fingers at me. "I want another one."

I go to get him another and hand it to him. He stuffs it in his mouth again. "Jake, stop doing that." 

"Doing what?" he asks, with his mouth full. 

"Eating the cake like that."

"I haven't had cake for almost eight years."

"Not even at birthday parties?" 

He shook his head. "My family is on a strict diet."

"Then, why do you eat the food at school?" I ask. "Everything served there is processed."

"I only stick to the salads," Jake responds, "Although there are some occasions when I have eaten unhealthily."

Memory strikes me. "Like you do to my lunch?" 

He laughs, "Yeah."

"Why is your family on this diet?" 

He looks at me knowingly. "You know why."

"No I don't."

"Because we had an obesity problem."

Instantly, everything made sense to me. It's no wonder why Jake eats so lightly and why he's in shape. 

He continues, "But we're all in great shape and we constantly exercise." 

"What happens if you get caught eating things outside of your diet?" 

"I get grounded," he remarks, "And I have to do double the work in exercising that night to get off the extra pounds."

I am at a loss of words for several moments. "Are you happy?"