Prologue

The prologue~

————————————————— 

He sighed, watching all of the other kids play tag or hide-and-seek with their friends. He went up to a kid, who was hidden behind a slide. 

"Can I play with you guys?" 

He hissed, "Be quiet, before they find me."

"Can I play too?" 

The boy scoffed, "No. This is only for me and my friends only. No outsiders." 

"Please?" 

"Found you!" another kid said, tagging him. "Now, it's your turn."

The kid glared at the boy, who made his hiding spot get found. "No. Go on somewhere, tubby." He shooed him. 

"What does tubby mean?" he asked. 

The kid just rolls their eyes, walking away. 

Disappointed, he walks away, taking the hint that he isn't well-liked by his peers. Across the playground, he spotted a boy sitting alone at a bench. That boy always sat by himself at that bench, at lunch, and on the bus too. When he thought about it, that boy always sat by himself and talked to no one. Not even the teachers. Maybe he'll make a new friend. He went up to him.

"Hi." 

The boy looked up from the ground.

"What's your name?" a bigger boys asked, as he sat next to him. The smaller boy's attention returned to the ground, which left the bigger boy wordless for several moments. Maybe he didn't hear him. "What's your name?" he repeated louder, waving his hand in his face, trying to gain his attention. 

He doesn't even glance at the boy. Instead, he arose from the bench, leaving the bigger boy by his lonesome. 

The bigger boy angrily looked after the wandering boy. What's his problem? Why is he ignoring him? 

"Hey," the bigger boy called after him, catching up to him. 

The small boy settled himself into a swing at the swing-set and began moving his legs in a back-and-forth motion. He seemed to get frustrated, because his movements weren't progressing at all. The only thing that moved were his legs, which he flailed more crazily as the minutes passed. 

"Want me to help you?" he asked, forgetting why he was even upset. In an odd way, he felt sorry for the smaller boy. He knew how irritating it felt when he didn't know how to swing. Maybe the boy is shy or something.

The small boy eyed him, fidgeting with his fingers, but reluctantly nodded. 

He got behind him and pushed him forward, then pulled him back, giving him a finish push. The smaller boy continued the movements of his legs, which made him swing even higher. The bigger boy moved out of his way. 

He sat down in a swing next to him and started swinging himself as well. During the occurrence, he couldn't help but look at the other boy, fascinated by him. It amazed him how quiet he is. He's never met anyone in his life like that. 

"Are you mute?" he asked, eyeing the smaller boy as he swung. The smaller boy looks at him in confusion. He explains, "It's when you can't talk. My cousin from Wisconsin is mute. I just thought you were mute, since you're so quiet."

He shook his head. After awhile, a broad silence approached the two boys. 

When the teacher blew the whistle, dismissing recess, the two boys stopped swinging.