Chapter 3: Helpful Rumor

:) Here you go!

—————————————————

"You seem to be in a rush," Jake says, following me down the hallway. 

"Just piss off, asshole."

"Another nickname," he states, unenthusiastically. 

"You're just that good, Jake. No, that's an understatement, you're perfect and I'm just Rico Arias!"

"You spoke the words out of my mouth. Congratulations, Rico." 

"Ten more points for being an asshole," I remark sarcastically.

He catches up and stands in my way, stopping me from preceding any further. 

"Did Mr. A+'s get under your skin?" he asks, "Or was it possibly Dumb Jock this time?"

"You're really taking it to heart with these nicknames," I point out. 

He chuckles, "If anyone's taking anything to heart, it's you. You're the one who's trying to earn brownie points to raise your grade." 

"At least I serve a purpose for it!" I burst, "You, on the other hand, are just doing it for no reason!"

"Who said I was doing it for no reason? Besides, I need the extra points to stay above a 100% in IB European History, which is a very challenging class by the way." He pauses, looking me up and down. "Something that you wouldn't understand and I gain community service as a result from the activity."

"Someone afraid of receiving anything lower than an A+?" I jab. 

He shrugs. "Not afraid. Just keeping my grades up as usual." 

I scoff, "Because you're so perfect."

"Thanks for recognizing that part of me again, Rico. It would mean so much if that became another nickname for me."

I stop walking and scowl at him. "For the record, Asshole is what I refer to you as on a daily basis, so get too attached to the others."

"How cute," he states, grinning, "The gay boy, that called me a girl the other day, is calling me an asshole."

I chuckle, "Oh, that rumor you started?"

His grin brightens in amusement. "I'm sure you're having a great time trying to get a girlfriend."

I continue snickering, "There is no trying for me. I just don't want one, considering the fact that I am gay." 

His face falls in shock. "So, you are gay?"

"I can't believe someone as smart as you didn't even know it," I laugh, "It's too bad that I have absolutely no chance in finding a girlfriend now."

He snarls, "This game you're playing—"

"There's no game," I cut him off. "Thanks for telling everyone that little detail about me. Now, I don't need to worry about girls hitting on me."

"So, this rumor actually helped you?"

"Yep," I answer, smiling, "Plus, I feel a gay vibe from a guy, that may or may not be interested in me." 

He huffs. "Seriously?"

"Seriously." 

"So, why didn't you tell anyone?" 

"I personally feel that it's no one else's business, but since you told the whole school, it's everyone's business now."

He laughs to himself, "You could've denied it, but you didn't." 

"Deny who I am? No thanks." I place my hand on his shoulder. "You wouldn't happen to be a gay-hater, would you?"