Epilogue

As Rico prepared for his first official date with Jake, he gussied himself up some more. Jake and him were going to see a movie and then going out to eat. Rico couldn't understand why they had to go out of town to do those things for their first date, but Jake insisted that their town was dull and he was tired of the same old things, arguing that he wanted their first date to be special, by trying something new and different. Not caring where they went, Rico happily accepted his offer. He was fine as long as he and Jake were together.

He suddenly heard honking outside, which indicated that Jake was there. Rico checked himself in the mirror one last time, admiring his appearance. He did a nice job picking out his outfit and his doing his hair. It's been a week since he and Jake have been released from that room and they've grown closer, especially during their community service event at the Saundergate building. He rushes past his parents, who tell him, "Have a good date" and that they love him. He thanks them and says he loves them back and joins Jake in his vehicle in a hurry, since the movie starts in an hour.

He pecks Jake's lips. "You look handsome, Jake."

"You too, babe." He drives off, once Rico shuts the door and puts on his seatbelt.

During the car ride, Rico and Jake conversed about trivial things, such as the season finale of their favorite television show and debated on the characters' development, defending their favorites. Rico just couldn't shake away his next question. "Jake, why don't you want our parents to meet?" A few nights ago when they spoke on the phone, Jake told him that he didn't want their parents to meet with no explanation. When Rico inquired more, Jake snapped at him and said he's not ready, which Rico doesn't consider a good enough reasoning. Jake even said he's not ready for Rico to meet them as well. He truly didn't understand, since Jake told him that his parents were okay with them being together.

"Rico, I already told you why," Jake sighed, "Please. I don't want to fight about it right now."

"But, Jake—"

"Rico, just drop it, please."

"I get that you're not ready for all of that," Rico started, "But, I'm also confused, since you told me your parents were okay with you dating me. Can you tell me why?"

Jake stopped at a red light. "Rico, I already told you why."

Rico retorted, "Your reason is bullshit." Jake grew irritated with his persistent boyfriend. Before he could respond, Rico asked, with hurt, "Are you ashamed of me?"

"Rico, you know that I'm not ashamed of you." He placed his right hand over Rico's while keeping one hand on the steering wheel. The light turned green and he drove.

"Then, why can't our families meet? And why can't I go to your house?" Jake has been over Rico's house plenty times since they've been released from the hellish equipment room a week ago, and Rico's sure that Jake will be over some more. When Rico asked if he could go over Jake's house, Jake said he couldn't because he wasn't ready for that yet. At the time, Rico brushed it off and didn't any further questions. His annoyance grew when that same reasoning was used as to why their parents can't meet.

"Do you really want to go to my house?"

"Yeah."

Jake sighed, eyeing the road ahead. "Why? It's just my boring house. What's the fuss about?"

Rico snapped his attention to Jake with evident annoyance. "Don't do that, Jake."

"Don't do what?"

"Don't you treat this like I'm just....." he trails off.

"Like you're just what?"

"Like I'm just whining about spilled milk," Rico continues, "Going to your house is important to me. I've not once been inside and I'd frankly like to see how my boyfriend lives and where he grew up. Don't patronize my feelings." Rico's been more than patient with Jake and his nonsensical excuses and he refuses to remain composed while his emotions are belittled.