Chapter 13. Belle

Belle was reading in chorus the next day before class, desperately trying to forget Gaston's promposal. That had been the most awkward moment of her life. That boy was stuck-up, vain, arrogant, ignorant...she shuddered at the mere thought of it.

"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere," she sang wistfully under her breath. "I want it more than I can tell...and for once it would be grand...to have someone understand. I want so much more than they've got planned..."

Tiana abruptly sat down next to her, breaking off her small solo. "I have to talk to Naveen," she grumbled, rustling through her bag. "We have to pick a topic for the project."

"Oh, I completely forgot about that!" Belle groaned, closing her book. "What are you thinking about doing?"

"I'm letting him pick the topic," she said, raising her eyebrows as if she thought she would regret the decision.

"I should do that too," Belle said thoughtfully.

"Yeah, since YOU'LL probably end up doing all the work."

"I don't know that," Belle protested. "Maybe he has a topic he's really passionate about, and..."

She broke off as Tiana began to laugh. "Fat chance, sweetie. But I guess it can't hurt to be optimistic. I know I ain't. Naveen hasn't got a single hardworking speck of blood in his body." She stood up. "I'll go talk to him now. Wish me luck," she said walking away. Belle smiled, turning back to her book. She would talk to Adam later.

But she couldn't concentrate. Despite her decision, a part of her really was curious if maybe he was smarter than he seemed.

Finally not being able to stand it anymore, she shut her book, stood up, and marched over to the boys section. Adam was sitting in the back, not speaking to anyone. She instantly felt bad for him. He looked so lonely.

"Hey," she said, sitting down next to him.

He looked at her suspiciously, though she could barely tell. His long hair shielded his face.

"I wanted to talk to you about the Social Studies project." She smiled, waiting for him to respond.

"Ok," he said gruffly.

Inwardly, she cheered. He speaks! "Is there any particular topic you want to do?"

He turned away. "No."

She sighed. This was going to be harder than she thought. "Nothing? World War Two? French Revolution? Mongol Empire?"

"I don't care about a stupid project, ok?" he shot back. Alarmed by this sudden outburst, she jerked back.

Angrily, she stood up. "Fine then! But we'll have to talk about it later, ok?"

"Ok!" he practically shouted. Phillip and Charming, who were talking in the row in front, turned around, concerned. Belle strode away indignantly, not looking back. She sat down in her seat, a little harder than she had intended to.

Ariel looked at her, concerned. "Hey, are you alright?"

"Yeah, yeah, sure," Belle grumbled. "I'm sure it'll turn out ok."

"Hey, you look kinda upset," Rapunzel said, leaning forwards in her seat. "Is everything ok?"

Belle smiled. Rapunzel really was the sweetest. "I'll be ok. I'm just a little upset with someone right now."

Rapunzel patted her shoulder sympathetically. "Is it Adam? I saw you talking to him."

Belle sighed. "Yeah. Yeah it's Adam."

"She's stuck with him on a social studies project," Ariel explained. Rapunzel winced. "That's rough."

"I'll say," Meg said, leaning over from the Alto section. "You got stuck with Adam?" She nodded sympathetically with Ariel and Rapunzel. "That's real unfortunate, girl."

"Alright kids," Calli said, breezing in, "we got a lotta work to do today, so let's get down to business!"

Belle sighed, got out her folder from underneath her chair, and tried to focus on the music.

~~~~~~~

"Ok, we really need to choose a topic," Belle said for the eleventh time, beginning to grow irritated.

"You can choose," he replied, equally as irritated.

"Ok, but you need to actually AGREE with something I suggest!" she practically shouted.

"Then suggest something good!" he growled.

Belle fought the urge to scream. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath. "Ok. Well, class is almost over, so why don't you just give me your cell phone number and I'll text you any ideas I have, ok?"

He turned and stared at her. She cocked an eyebrow. She was done playing games with this guy. "Ok?" she repeated.

"Yeah, ok, fine," he grumbled. He took out his phone, unlocked it, and handed it to her. She began typing in her information.

He cleared his throat, looking away. "Only, you should, um, probably call me. My texting, uh, doesn't work so good...sometimes."

Belle fought the urge to correct his grammar. "Um, alright. Whatever you say. But I won't be able to call until late, because I have, uh, detention."

"Ok."

Well, at least he doesn't judge you, she thought to herself grimly. Seeing as he probably gets detention all the time.

She realized how horrible of a thought that was and was immediately disgusted with herself. But a tiny part of her admitted it was true.

Then the bell rang and she stood up abruptly, practically running out of the classroom. She didn't like thinking mean thoughts, and this guy was really pushing it.

~~~~~~~~~~

A/N: Hey guys! I hoped you liked this (unfortunately short) Belle chapter! I am SO SUPER PUMPED FOR NEXT WEEK'S CHAPTER so make sure to stay tuned! Are you nervous now? Anxious? BITING YOUR NAILS IN ANTICIPATION????

Don't bite your nails that's bad for you. Seriously, don't.

This chapter is dedicated to Pennywithaney for her awesome retellings of Cinderella, Mulan, and future tales to come. They are amazing and everyone should read them.

I hope you are enjoying the story, and I hope you enjoy your week! And remember...

"THAT WAS TOTALLY WICKED!"

Quote in honor of readingobsessedsteph

~Paint_splatt