Chapter 22.

By the time they touch down in LA the sun has set and the two of them are exhausted. They spent the flight curled up in each other under thin aeroplane blankets, Louis' head resting on Harry's shoulder and Harry's arm curled tight around his waist.

The hard tarmac under their feet and the too bright field lights shining in their eyes leave them in a daze as they make their way over to the car waiting to pick them up. Louis hooks his pinkie finger around Harry's as they walk side by side. He feels his pulse rate quicken as they approach the small entourage of security and handlers waiting for them. He swallows once before taking Harry's hand into his fully, grasping it tightly, a surge of pride sweeping over him when he feels Harry squeeze back.

Louis sees the way each eye falls to the place where their hands are joined, sees the expressions on their faces and the looks of concern they share between each other. He holds his head up high, only holding Harry's hand tighter.

"Hello." He states as they approach, his eyebrows raised just so.

He can sense the bated breath, the awkwardness as everyone contemplates whether or not to address the giant elephant in the room, or on the tarmac.

"Did you have a comfortable flight?" One asks, stepping forward to take their bags from them.

"Very comfortable, thank you." Harry responds, taking his bag from his shoulder and handing it over.

Louis nods, handing his rucksack to them. "Is there any need for this many people to be here?" He asks, gesturing to the gang stood in front of the car.

"Your safety is our priority, Mr. Tomlinson. Two high profile personnel such as yourselves travelling together creates a very real security risk."

"Right," Louis sighs, rolling his eyes at Harry. "Can we all get going then?"

"Of course, once the other car arrives you can both be on your way."

Harry clears his throat, "Other car?"

"You'll be travelling in separate cars, for security reasons." The handler says, straightening their tie. "It's just procedure."

As if on cue, another jet black SUV rolls up, the windows tinted.

"Procedure." Harry repeats, "Since when?"

Louis lets out a heavy breath, turning to Harry. "It's not worth it, pick your battles." He says as he watches the handlers load their bags into two different cars. "I'll see you back at yours, okay? Get the kettle on for me."

Harry lets out a gentle laugh, turning their bodies away from the entourage, backs facing them. "I'll see you soon." He whispers, leaning close, a hand clasping Louis' bicep.

Louis reaches up and smooths a strand of hair behind Harry's ear. He brings his hand to rest against his jaw, stretching up on his tiptoes and placing a delicate kiss to Harry's lips, chapped from the dry aeroplane air. "I'll see you soon."

He hears Harry swallow, cheeks dimpling as they break apart. "Don't be too long." He utters, pulling Louis' hoodie closed over his chest and zipping it up for him before patting him down and brushing away a spec of dirt.

"Quick as I can." Louis smirks offering him a wink over his shoulder as he turns to jump inside the SUV.

Harry blows him a kiss as he gets inside his own.

*

The car journey back to Harry's is short and Louis spends it in silence. He lets his head rest against the cool panes of window glass as the freeway flies past him, all black apart from the speckles of red brake lights and the white of the moon seeping through a blanket of clouds.