Chapter 12.

Louis cant help but tighten his grasp, just letting his fingers curl against Harry's hip, squeezing the skin there just so. Harry's eyelashes flutter as he leans in to the touch. Without giving himself time to think about it, Louis reaches with his other arm to wrap around Harry's neck. He aborts it mid gesture.Shit, now isn't the time. He can't do this in a shitty dressing room half an hour before they walk a red carpet. "Um," He clears his throat, his arm awkwardly suspended in mid-air. "Your necklace."

"Oh, right, yeah." Harry stutters, holding his hand out for Louis to drop it in. Louis lets it slip through his fingers into Harry's palm. "Thanks." Harry stumbles, dragging out the 's'.

Louis gives him a nod, before tapping his hip with his other hand, taking it away swiftly. "You're welcome." Louis looks up through his eyelashes, giving Harry what he hopes is a reassuring smile. Something that says I want to, but not now. Harry looks back at him, his bottom lip drawn between his teeth.

He nods softly, just once and barely there before raising his hand in a shaky motion, fist drawn with his thumb up. "Better get a move on." He murmurs, "Big night tonight."

If it's loaded with double meaning, Louis doesn't let himself think too much about it.

They get changed without any further incident, apart from Harry toppling over and sending a rack of clothes flying in an attempt to get into his skinny jeans.

"You ready?" Louis asks him, brushing himself down in the mirror and pulling the lace on his shoes.

"Yep." Harry responds, coming up behind him in the mirror. "Is the scarf a bit much?" He asks, gesturing to the silk material hanging from his neck.

Louis looks at Harry's reflection, taking in his form. "Definitely not. I'd undo another button on your shirt too, just for safe measure."

Harry laughs, rolling his eyes at Louis words. He unbuttons it anyway.

"C'mon then, hair and make up awaits."

*

They're met by the other boys in hair and makeup, Liam waggling his eyebrows suggestively at him from his chair him as he makes his way in with Harry. Louis flips him the finger teasingly.

It's quiet in the dressing room as they get their hair done, the four of them occupied by their own thoughts. Liam and Harry are always the first to be finished, Liam's short hair easily sitting however Lou wants it and Harry's so long and curly that there's not much to do except apply a squirt of styling mousse and some hairspray. The two of them wander off into the smoking area together, Harry offering Louis a quick smile and a "See you in a bit," over his shoulder as he leaves. It's such a small gesture but it's one he would have been deprived of had this been a few months back. The thought gives him just a small amount of butterflies.

Niall picks up on it immediately, turning to Louis as soon as Harry and Liam are out of ear-shot. "Whats going on with you two then?" He grins, raising his eyebrows.

Louis shrugs him off. "All he did was say 'see you later' Niall."

"Fuck off," He laughs, "You know what I'm talkin' about."

Louis sighs, rolling his eyes. "Go on then, what's Payno told you?"

Niall shoots him a confused look. "I was talkin' 'bout how closey you've been gettin'. Went for lunch, Harry sleepin' at yours, starin' at the stars-"

Louis elbows him, "Who told you all that?!"

Niall cackles at him, "Dunno if you're aware, but me and Harry are quite good mates."