Twenty Seven- Concluding the Situation

I was let out of the hospital a week after the day I found out my sister and ex boyfriend had died.

I missed their funerals because the hospital staff needed me for evaluation. And police and news reporters were interviewing me nonstop about that had happened at Reese's house in his basement.

His home was turned into a crime scene, and his poor parents weren't even allowed inside. They currently were staying at my house in one guest room on the third floor.

My mom unlocked the front door to our house. I anxiously stood there as the door swung open.

"Fern!" Caitlyn cried as she ran up to me.

She wrapped her thin arms around me and she wiped her tears on my shirt.

"You're okay!" She said as she looked up at me.

I walked with her into the living room.

My other sisters nearly flew down the stairs as they toppled onto me.

Reese's parents also greeted me.

"You're home!!!!" Leah said happily.

"What happened?" Emily asked.

"Did you hear what happened to Ada?" Allison asked, and everyone went still.

My mom but her lip and fought hard to keep back tears. Losing somebody want too easy for her.

"Yes. I heard." I said as I glanced up at my parents and Reese's.

"And did you hear what happened to Re-"

"Yes. I did." I said as I cut off Emily's train of thought.

"What day is it?" I asked, trying to change the subject.

"December 30th." My dad responded.

December 30th!?

"I missed Christmas with you guys!?" I exclaimed as I felt hot tears bore through my eyes.

"Yeah..." Caitlyn said, still not letting go of me.

"But your presents are still under the tree!" Allison said cheerfully as she jumped up off the couch and ran to the other side of the room, where a familiar glowing Christmas tree stood.

I held Caitlyn's hand and I lead my family and Reese's parents over to the tree.

Leah handed me a present.

It had green wrapping paper and a silver shiny bow on it.

I tore apart the paper, revealing a beautiful handbag from Michael Kors.

I smiled as I looked at the gorgeous bag.

"Thank you!" I said as I placed the bag to the side.

Emily placed a small box on my palm.

"This ones from me." She said as she revealed a toothy smile.

I popped open the lid and inside the box there was a packet of Fern seeds.

I laughed.