Can't Stand It

Chapter 23; Can’t Stand It

Luck must have been with me because I must have broken ten laws on my way back home. I slammed on the brakes as I pulled in front of my house, not knowing how Michael was doing had me panicking. I ignored Holly and Bridget’s worried looks as I ran through the front door, slamming it shut and ran upstairs to my room. “Are you alright?” Were the first words out of my mouth, the second I entered my room.

“I’ll be fine in a minute.” Michael said as he took the pitcher of blood from me and started to chug it down.

I couldn’t help myself as I watched him drinking it. The color was slowly returning to his face; well as much color as normal and the light started to come back to his eyes. Once I was sure he was going to be ok, I allowed myself to relax and sat down on the lounging couch that I had across my room from the bed. “Do you need more?” I asked quietly as Michael took a breath once he finished the pitcher and set it down on the floor next to him.

“No. I should be fine until tonight.”

There was a long silence between us before Michael cleared his throat and slowly looked up to meet my eyes. “You know…I was thinking. You don’t have to agree or anything and don’t feel obligated to say yes, but uh…” Michael got up from the floor from where I found him when I entered my room and started to pace back and forth, running his hand through his hair.

“Spit it out. You’re making me nervous.”

“doyouwanttobecomeavamprie?” Michael rushed out, so it all sounded smushed together.

Surprisingly enough, I actually understood what he asked. Do I want to become a vampire? I don’t know. I never thought about it. If I did, I would only be able to go out at night, only drink blood. Do I really want to give up all of my favorite foods? “I don’t know. I’d have to think about it. So much stuff has happened these past few days…” I trailed off as my mind wandered to Andy leaving, my parents dying, Michael desperately needing blood, now Michael asking if I want to become a vampire. This is too much at once. “Give me time to think about it.” I repeated. “I’m sorry.” I whispered.

“I shouldn’t have brought it up. We can discuss this later…when things aren‘t so hectic.”

I nearly jumped out of my skin when my phone started ringing. “Hello?” I answered, not bothering to look at who it was.

“Is this Jade?”

“Yes…whose calling?” I asked hesitantly.

“This is John Smith from the morgue. I was wondering if we could speak in person about the passing of your parents some time today?”

Shit. I cant deal with this right now. I slowly sat down on my bed and mumbled a quiet, “What time did you want to meet and where?”

“I was thinking five o’clock, somewhere you would feel comfortable.” John answered. It sounded like he did this too much. I don’t think I’m going to like this guy too much.

“Do you think you could come to my house?” I waved my hand to Michael to get him to stop as he started asking who it was repeatedly.

“Yes. Anywhere would work.”

“I’m assuming you already have my address?” I asked after a brief pause.

“Yes. I’ll see you at five then.”

“Ok. Thank you.” I said as I disconnected the call.

“Who was that?” Michael asked the second I dropped the call.

“His name was John. He’s from the morgue.”

“He’s coming over today?”

“At five.” I mumbled as I got up and went into the bathroom so I could start the shower and get ready for the day.

***

“Are you Jade?”

“Yes. Come in.” I said as I opened the front door wider for him to come in the house.

“I’m John. Now if you wanted to get straight to business?” At the shake of my head, John sat down across from me on the couch and pulled out a folder. “Your parents left everything to you.” I took the folder from him, not being able to open the folder yet. “You would get their investments; the house, cars, and the vacation homes, along with the all of their money.”

When I didn’t say anything after John was finished talking, he continued, “It is going to be your decision to set the date for the funeral arrangements. Are you going to want them to be cremated or buried?”

“Cremated.” I answered immediately. Ever since I was little I remember them saying how they wanted to be cremated.

John marked something down on a sheet of paper and looked up at me, “Where you wanting a ceremony before they get cremated?”

“No.” I replied.

It was taking all of my willpower to sit here and listen to him talking about my parents like they were animals. I don’t want to deal with this guy anymore. He’s making everything feel like its actually happening. I don’t want my mom and dad dead. They were in their mid thirties for crying out loud. They should have another fifty years in their life span. “I guess I’ll get going then and I’ll let you know when we’re able to do the ceremony.”

“Ok.” I said, thankful that he was leaving and stood up so I could follow him to the front door, so I could see him out.

“Bye.” John said as he left.

I didn’t bother saying anything else as I shut the door and sat back down in the living room, looking at the folder that John handed me. “How’d it go?” Michael asked as he walked in the living room and sat down next to me, wrapping his arm around my waist, pulling me closer into his side.

“As good as it can.” I mumbled, still looking at the folder.