The Freaks Come Out At Night

Chapter 5; The Freaks Come Out At Night

"So are you dropping out of college or something?" I asked Holly over the phone as I was walking to my next class.

"No. I just haven't felt like going. Everything is so stressful. I cant handle it. The classes are difficult and...I don't know. I just don't feel like going anymore."

"You are going to be walking in English before the clock strikes 7." I said as I stopped outside the classroom door. "I know you're at least within a mile radius of the school. I dropped you off for crying out loud."

"That only gives me like five minutes to get there!" Holly yelled on the other end of the phone.

"Then I suggest you run." I said as I hung up. I looked around when I felt like someone was watching me. I knew it wasn't Michael. This feeling that I was getting didn't seem as non-threatening as it did when it was him. don't get me wrong. I didn't like the feeling either way, but this was way creepier. I quickly opened the classroom door and went to my usual seat. Even though nobody was in there yet, I still felt more comfortable than standing poorly lit hallway.

My eyes were on the clock, counting down the time for when class was going to start. Ten minutes. It was times like these that I was reconsidering switching to morning classes. Holly better hurry up and get here. I don't want to be by myself. My heart nearly fell out of my chest when the classroom door flung open. "You're early Jade." Chris Blower, my english teacher said as the door shut behind him. And yes I did say Chris Blower. Just make sure you don't make any jokes about his name in front of him. It'll be an instant fail, even if you did good on all of the work.

"Yeah. I didn't have anywhere else to be before this class started and my Ceramics class got out a little bit early." I said as my eyes slid back to the clock, next to the door. Come on Holly. Hurry up.

I shrank back in my seat as Chris started walking towards me, instead of getting out today's assignment like he usually does. "Did you have any problems with the homework last night?" He asked, starting to get in my personal space.

"Nope. I didn't have a problem with it." I said as I scooted my chair back inch by inch, hoping he wouldn't notice.

"Oh, well that's too bad. I was hoping you would need a little bit of extra hel-" Chris stopped mid sentence when the classroom door opened. I let out a silent sigh of relief when Holly stormed in and sat down in the chair next to me, but not before giving Chris a weird look.

I pulled out my phone and wrote a simple text to Holly: 'Took you long enough'

Holly groaned next to me and quickly started writing a reply: 'I'm early what are you talking about?'

'Nothing. Forget about it. I'm just glad you got here when you did.'

Holly and I both shared a long look. Just as she opened her mouth more of the students started filing in.

Through out the rest of class, Chris would keep sparing longing glances at me or he would find a reason to walk past me. At one point he dropped a note on my desk. I didn't bother opening it. I don't want to know what he has to say. He needs to hurry up and teach us what we need to know so I can pass this class and move on. On my way out, I dropped the note in the trash and walked with Holly to the worst class ever, Science.

"I don't know why you would take that class if you hate it so much." Holly said as she stopped outside my class.

"Me neither. I figured I could get it over with...instead I'll most likely be taking this class over unless I get my grade up in time."

"Good luck with that. I'll meet you in the student hall when you get out of class." Holly said as she started walking away.

I groaned as I opened the door and saw that everybody was already in their seats with a notebook and pencil in hand. I looked up at the clock. I'm not late. What the hell? "Glad to see you could join us." René said.