Alligator Blood

Chapter 9; Alligator Blood

“Heather. I’m heading out.” I said as I clocked out of my shift.

“See you tomorrow.” Heather smiled as I walked past her and went out into the cool air. By looking at the sky, I knew I only had a few minutes until the sun was going to go down. Which meant I only had about an hour to get home, grab my books and go to school. I wanted to walk today, but I wouldn’t be able to make it, even if I ran the entire way.

I got in my car and passed the familiar buildings. I love this little town, but sometimes I wish there would be some type of change. Something to liven it up. Maybe I should do something drastic, like…I don’t know. Drop out of school and join a biker gang. I chuckled under my breath. Yeah right. That would never happen. If I didn’t kill myself on the bike, my parents would kill me, if they ever found out. I haven’t seen them in almost a year. I pulled into the driveway, not bothering to shut off my car and ran up to my room. “Are you guys coming with me?” I yelled as I threw my books in my bag, hoping they would hear me.

“I was already there today. I don’t plan on going back.” Andy yelled, from what it sounded like his room.

In the far distance of the house I heard a ‘no’ from Holly and a ‘yeah’ from Bridget.

When I was sure I had everything, I rushed back down stairs and looked at Bridget. “Well. I thought you wanted to come?” I said when I saw her lounging back on the couch, on her laptop.

“I’m coming.” She said as she shut her laptop and slid on her shoes. “See. I’m ready.” On our way out the door, she grabbed her purse. Together we rushed to my still running car and made our way back to town.

“I think I’m going to switch my classes. I’d rather go to school during the day and work at night. I’m not sure if I want to do it during the middle of a quarter though…”

“You could always wait until the end of the quarter. There’s only about a week left. I’m sure heather wouldn’t mind either. She seems like she likes you and she doesn’t want you to quit or anything.”

“I just need a change. I might be reacting too fast about this. I should just keep everything how it is and call it good.” I glanced at Bridget. “I just need a change. You know?”

“Yup.”

I frowned at her one word response. Bridget is usually the more talkative one…if you don’t count Andy. He can outtalk anyone. I pulled the car over a few blocks away from the school on the side of the road. There isn’t going to be any parking spots left by now. I pulled out my phone and saw that I only had five minutes to get to class. “Uh, I’m going to be late. Do you want me to text you when I get out of class?”

“Sure. Better run.” Bridget said as she started walking the opposite direction of me.

***

Once I suffered through school and I got my homework done, I went up to my room and laid down on my bed. I held my phone in front of me with MV on the screen for a good ten minutes before I finally pushed the call button. “I’m ready to talk.” Was the only thing I said before I hung up my phone.

Minutes later I heard the doorbell ringing through the house and a faint ’I got it’ as someone answered the door. “You got here earlier than I expected.” I said when he walked in my room.

“I’m going to start off by saying, let me finish what I have to say before you freak out.” Michael said, getting straight to the point.

“Alright. I promise. Proceed.” I said as I sat up in my bed and pulled my knees up to my chest.