Somebody's Watching Me

Chapter 1; Somebody’s Watching Me

My heart was racing as I dodged the tree branches, I felt someone following me, but it seemed like no matter how fast I ran, the person would always catch up to me. I kept running for what felt like hours, but I wasn’t making any progress. I was starting to get pissed. As my heart was drumming in my chest, I turned around to see who it was, but nobody was there. As I turned back around the moon outlined his silhouette as the fog rolled around him. As the words bounced off the trees, I heard in a whispering voice, “your heart is mine.”

BANG!!! I shot up straight in my desk as my eyes focused on the classroom around me, seeing amused looks from the other students. That’s like the third day in a row that I had that dream. “WAKE UP OR GET OUT!!” René Phillips, my science teacher screamed at me.

I shuffled up all of my stuff and walked exaggeratingly slow out of the class room, just to make sure I held up her class. I never liked it anyways. I’m much more of a writer or artsy type. At least I get to go home now.

I made my way through the park as I do every night from school to my Victorian house my parents left me when they retired to the coast of Florida, I could have sworn I felt someone watching me. I shook off the feeling and walked faster through the woods, this was too close to my dream for comfort, I didn’t even see any animals like I usually do. When my house came into view I picked up my pace to a jog and barged in the house, slamming the door behind me, making sure to twist the lock.

“What’s wrong with you?” Andy, my best friend asked. This is why I love Andy. He’s like a sister that I never had.

“Just a little creeped out. Nothing major.” I don’t know why I didn’t tell him about my dreams or just now when I felt someone watching me. It felt like I would be betraying somebody if I were to say anything. “I’m just gonna go take a relaxing bath and try and catch some Z’s before I have to get up for work in the morning.”

“Bridget, Holly and I thought we were going to have a girls night?” Andy whined as his eyes followed me walking up the stairs.

“Oh, crap! I forgot. Just let me get in my pajamas, then I’ll come back down.”

Andy instantly perked up. “Goody! I’m giving you five minutes.”

“Yeah, yeah.” I smiled as I went up to my room.

I hesitated outside my bedroom door having a déjà vu moment as I held my hand on the door knob. I took a deep breath and flung the door open. I held back a scream when I saw someone in the moonlight standing on my balcony, looking through the glass doors. As soon as I saw the person, they were gone. I flipped my light switch and went over to the doors and flipped the lock and pulled my black Celtic curtains shut. I quickly got out of my clothes and pulled on some comfy pj‘s.

“Took you long enough.” Bridget said when I plopped down on the couch next to her.

I ignored her remark and looked at the table in front of me. There was all different kinds of nail polish, including clear for Andy, things to do each others hair with even grape smelling face masks.

“So who is working on who?” I asked as I slid down to the floor so I was sitting in front of the table.

“First things first.” Holly said as she pulled out ’The Notebook’

“For sure we have to check out Ryan Gossling!” Andy exclaimed as he started picking through the different nail colors.

“Come on. He isn’t even attractive.” I scoffed as I pointed out the color that I wanted in Andy’s stack.

“You just don’t know a tasty guy when you see one.” Bridget replied as she joined Andy and I in our search for everything we wanted before all the good stuff was gone.

“Ok. Who took the red nail polish?!” Holly said when she sat down next to Andy and saw that her favorite nail polish was missing from the bunch.

“You can blame me on that one.” I said, holing up the bottle so she could see it, but not close enough that she could take it from me.

“You’re a bitch Jade.” Holly said, barley loud enough for me to hear.

“But you love me.” I smiled. “You can use it when I’m done.” I replied even quieter, knowing she always wanted to be the first to use anything.

“I hate you.” Holly grumbled as she picked up the purple color that Bridget picked out and started on her nails.

I ignored her as I held out the red polish to Andy so he could start on my nails. The sooner Holly got what she wanted, the sooner she would shut up. “I will never understand how you don’t think he is hot.” Andy said, directing to the movie that was playing in the background. “We usually have the same taste in guys, but…not liking that stuff muffin…” Andy shook his head, “I just don’t know what to say to that.”

“You’ll learn to accept it.” I smiled as I patted his leg with my hand that he wasn’t working on yet.

“I don’t know about that.” Bridget said, smirking at Andy. “He has the biggest crush on him. I’m sure he’d dry hump him if he were to ever get close enough to him.”

“You know it.” Andy said, in complete seriousness.

A chuckle escaped my mouth before I had the chance to stop myself. “You guys have some nasty taste.”

“You say we have nasty taste. The guys you like look like they came back from the dead.” Holly said.

“Ok you two. Why don’t we just continue this in silence. Its just going to turn into a drawn out, stupid argument that I don’t want to have to deal with.” Bridget said, slapping her freshly, painted hand over my mouth when she saw me open my mouth with a snide remark on my face.