Into The Ocean

Chapter 15; Into The Ocean

“I’ll see you again in a couple hours for my next shift.” I said in a rush as I got out of the coffee shop as fast as I could. I like my job for the most part, but today has been hectic since I first woke up this morning. Bridget comes busting into my room and starts jumping on my bed seconds before my alarm clock goes off, saying that it was a bright and sunshiny day and that we need to go swimming. I ended up rolling over with her on top of me so she ended up falling to the floor and on her way down, she hit her head hard enough to leave a decent sized bump. Which then had me getting out of bed to get her an ice pack; if she would have never went in my room and woke me up in the first place, she would have never needed the ice pack to begin with. Then to top it off, as I was walking down the stairs, trying to put my coat on at the same time, I end up falling down the last couple steps, scratching up the palm of my hands.

As I drive down the road to the beach to meet up with everyone -since the sun is down- for a bon fire, all I can do is hope that my luck turns around before I have to go back into work until closing. I didn’t expect for it to just be Aaron, Phil -at least I think its Phil. I haven‘t met him yet- , Jay, Andy, Holly, Alex, Bridget, David, Michael and myself. There were two other girls that were sitting with Aaron and Phil, but I don’t know who they were. Michael was the only one who noticed my presence as I walked up to them and sat down.

“You must be Jade.” Phil said as looked straight at me, across from the warm fire.

“Yup…and you’re Phil?” I asked, taking in his beautiful long black hair.

“The one and only Uncle Phil.” He smiled.

I chuckled and looked between Aaron and Phil, “So, are you going to introduce you’re dates?” I asked a little hesitant, not knowing if they were really dates.

“This is Audria. Audria, this is Jade.” Aaron introduced us first.

“Nice to meet you.” I smiled as I took in her outfit. She had on a pair of simple dark skinny jeans, and what looked like Aarons jacket, by the size of it, sadly, I couldn’t tell what shirt she had on.

“This is Sydnie.” Phil added seconds later. I couldn’t really tell much about her since she was half on top of Phil, doing anything in her power to get his attention back on her. By the annoyed look on his face, I don’t think it was working.

I leaned over to Michael and whispered, “I don’t think he likes her too much.”

“He doesn’t.” He said simply.

“What are you two whispering about over there?” Andy asked, causing everyone to stop talking and look at us.

“Nothing. We’re just talking.”

“You guys don’t all have to stop talking at once. You can go back to what you were doing before.” Michael added after my brief response.

“We were waiting for you guys to vote.” Alex smirked. “Either, we go for a swim, or hang around the fire and do smores or some shit like that.”

“Don’t matter to me.” Michael said, looking around our select group of friends.

“Its up to you now, Jade. You’re the tie-breaker.” Bridget said, giving me her puppy dog look, begging me to choose the same as her. The only problem, I didn’t hear a word they said before they got mine and Michael’s attention.

I’ll take the easy way out. “Well I have to go back to work, so swimming is out for me. I’ll just stay by the fire, you guys can do whatever you want.”

“That sucks.” Aaron said, as they all started to get up and head towards the water.

“You don’t have to stay.” I said, looking over at a still sitting Michael. “If you want to swim, don’t let me stop you.”