"Side Effects" Chapter 38

My body felt so sore and my head was pounding. Why is it pounding? I didn't drink last night. What happened? I felt myself wanting to wake up but I just couldn't. Something felt wrong. My heart started pounding and I tried to find the feeling of my arms and legs. I couldn't move them. Panic came over me. My breaths came faster. What's going on?

Soon I herd footsteps rush to the door. "I said leave!" Jason yelled.

"Calm down. Ian is going nuts. He needs to know how she is. So how is she?" Charlie asked.

Me? What happened to me? This can't honestly be happening. Well I'm awake but I have no control over my body.

"She is still in the same condition. I'm her Beta. I'm the only one allowed in here." Jason huffed.

"That is total dog shit!" Charlie snapped. Then in a whisper he said " we both know they are mates and Ian tells me they are engaged."

"Well they haven't mated so all decisions of what happens to her, land on me. Now go away and keep Ian out. He can't come here. One hint of her scent and his wolf will take over and take Melanie unconscious or not." Jason said.

"I'm not an idiot." Charlie snapped. I could hear Charlie stomp off.

I finally felt something hot in my hand. It felt like a hand. The memory hit me in a flash. Charlie gave me a shot and made me incapable of protecting Ian. It's all his fault why Ian changed so early. It wasn't by choice. He will pay.

"Ouch! Melanie. Hey, can you hear me? It's Jason." He said the last part in a whisper. "Your nails are digging into my skin. I'm glad your okay."

Anger awoke my body and soon all the feeling came back to me. I sat up to fast and got a head rush. My eyes looked over my room and a sigh of relief hit me. I turned to see Jason. His brown eyes were puffy and his nose was red. Had he been crying? Was it that serious?

"Oh Melanie!" He sobbed and then wrapped me in his arms. I just remained frozen. It must have been a close one. That's not good.

"Jason, I'm fine. It's just that I need to hurt Charlie." I pushed Jason off. I got on my two feet and made a run for the door. My legs were still asleep and I went falling down to the ground. "What is wrong with me?" I said to myself.

"Melanie, you need to be careful. I need you to be honest with me." Jason said as he helped me get up. He helped me get back to bed. I hated receiving his help. It makes me feel so weak.

"Of course I'll be honest. What is it?" I asked him. I noticed I was wearing short shorts and a tank top. I'm curious to find out who changed me. I looked up at Jason and saw just how worried he is. "Spit it out. Now you have my nerves going wild."

"We'll I need to ask you two things. Did you.. Have you accepted the..." He looked down at the carpet. I was on the verge of yelling at him. ".. The change?"

I started laughing at him. "No! Is that all your worried about? Jared you had me so scared." His face lost all color. "What?"

"It's just that you didn't accept the change then why can't you change to your wolf? Your not even healing fast. There is something that your not telling me. Tell me." Jared said in a serious tone.

I crossed my arms over my chest. I didn't want to tell him. By law if an Alpha can't do it's job then Beta can take over. I looked over at Jason and all I saw was concern. He is my best friend and I know I can trust him. It's just that I'm scared about what was in that shot that Charlie gave me.

"If I tell you then you must promise not to tell anyone. If they find out I'm weak then people will try to attack the pack. Promise?" I asked. I looked right at his brown eyes and he nodded. "Say it out loud."