Chapter 39: LDR (Michelle's Side)

Awww, this is the last of Michelle's POV. Yes folks, we're down to the last eleven chapters. ;))) 

Sorry for being inactive for months. Meeeeh. Here it goes. --Love, stupidcupid

~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

Michelle's POV

“Michelle? Can you give me a hand down here?” Mom calls out.

I drag my feet to the right corner of the evacuation center. I can’t believe that this is happening.

There are so many things going on at once. My brain can no longer process it and my heart’s too full to accept the pain.

Life really is unfair. It’s unfair that the play is cancelled. It’s unfair that a storm struck our place. Most of all, it’s unfair that the guy closest to me is leaving.

Raven is leaving.

“Honey, help your sister set the folding beds. I’m going to get some food.” Mom interrupts my thoughts.

I nod, wordlessly. I have nothing to say anyway.

I just want to be numb and nothing today. I don’t want to feel anything. I don’t want to think about anything. I don’t want to do anything that I don’t have to. In short, I want… need to be a temporary zombie.

Unfortunately, my sister chooses to be clingy today. I don’t know what’s gotten into her but she won’t go away without a sisterly bonding moment.

“Hey Mich! You alright?” Merriam says.

I nod while grabbing a few pillows.

“Oh. Uhm… what’s up?” she persists.

I sigh. “I wouldn’t like to talk about it.”

“Well, I think that this storm is such a bother. I was excited in watching the play that you’re in. I was even picking out my dress yesterday.”

I nod again.

“What’s the play about again? I haven’t read the invitation that the school sent out yet. Whatever it is, it must be amazing! It should be. You’re in it after all.” She babbles nonsense, trying to get me to talk.

Exasperated, I snap at her. “I don’t like to talk about it. About anything. For Pete’s sake, let’s just finish this in silence!”

“Geez. I get that you’re a silent type but there’s no need to be pissed at me.” Merriam finally gets a hint.

“I didn’t cause the storm and I didn’t cause any problem that you’re having now. I’ve been well-behaved since the sabotage. I’m just trying to cheer you up.” She continues.

Being the pushover that I am, I immediately feel guilty.

“I know. I’m sorry. I just wanted to let the day pass in a blur without being bothered by my feelings.” I say.

 Merriam immediately drops the blankets that she’s holding and hugs me. Wow, she’s taking the clinginess to the next level!

“You know you can tell your big sister anything. I’ll do anything for you.” She tries to comfort me.

I sigh. “I’m just really sad about the play. I’ve worked really hard for it.”

“It’ll pass, Michelle. After this, everything will go back to normal.” My sister assures me.

She’s so wrong. After today, the storm might be gone. After today, the play might be shown. After today, everyone might vacate the center and go home. After today, everyone else’s life might go back to normal but not mine. Raven’s leaving me and I don’t think that I’ll ever be the same.