Chapter 21: Confinement (Princess' Side)

Princess’ Side <3

“Wake up! Cessie, wake up!” I hear an annoying voice call out. I was just dreaming peacefully about some Barnie fairytale and I was hoping to finish it. That seems impossible now that a stubborn Andy is around.

“Stop it Andy!” I say, finally giving in.

“Auntie is asking if you would go to school today.” He tells me. I rub my eyes and tilt my head a little. Of course I would! Is there a reason for me not to?

"Tell her I would." I send Andy away. Immediately, I get up. I grab a towel and rush to the bathroom.

On my way there, I hear my mom say “Are you sure you’re already well?”

“Yes mom!” I reply.

Why was she suddenly worried? I have complete fingers. There’s no blood spilling out. What’s the problem? I don’t remember being sick.

Weird.

After a quick bath, I pick the first pair of clothing I could get my hands on. I'm applying a light layer of lip gloss when the school bus arrives. I kiss my mom as she cleans up the kitchen before rushing out.

“Cessie!” Andy calls out as he tries to catch up to me. He runs as fast as he could but he doesn't make it. The bus is already moving away.

“You haven’t had breakfast yet!” I hear Andy sob. At that exact moment, my tummy grumbles. I always forgot breakfast.

To make up for it, I search my bag for something to eat. All I found is a strawberry cupcake. I take a bite while mulling over my dream last night.

It was about Barbie. She collapsed on the ground. Barbie was sick with fever. Then a mysterious person carried her home and took care of her. The face of her savior was blurred and she couldn’t remember who it was. Yet even if it was all about Barbie, it seemed as if Barbie was me. I was Barbie.

For some reason, the dream feels real. Either I witnessed it happening or it happened to me. 

Was it a dream or not?

I rub my temples in circles to reduce my headache. Thinking is making me dizzy. I slouch on my seat and wait for the bus to reach school.

In a while, I feel the bus driver shaking me awake. I grab my things and walk towards my classroom. As I wander the hallway, I bump into Jaime.

“What are you doing here?” she asks and she touches my forehead.

“I’m going to school. Duh,” I reply, slightly weird-ed out by her behavior.

“I know but are you sure that you’re alright? You fell down yesterday. You were so sick.” She tells me.

“I guess so.” I answer, nodding in comprehension. I raise my eyebrows and scratch my head. 

Suddenly, a familiar figure bumps into me. We hold each other's electrifying gaze for quite a while. Vince then raises his hand to touch my cheek. 

I could feel the heat radiating off his palm. My cheeks begin to heat up as well. I look to the ground as I feel my heart beating uncontrollably fast. 

Could it be? Was it Vince? Was Vince the "Ken" of my Barbie dream?

Vince quickly withdraws his hands and walks away without further acknowledgement.

What am I saying? Of course it wasn’t Vince! I mean, why would he even care about me? I’m sure he’d just laugh at me and leave me to die. Well, the “leave me to die” statement was too much but you get the point.