Chapter 33: Endings

[Regular POV]

     Melissa rushed into the hospital. She was an emotional mess. There she was, carrying her unconscious best friend and helping Marcus walk. She didn't know how she was doing to explain this to the doctors. They would automatically think that Melissa had something to do with it, or even worse, blame Quise–who was outside having a mental breakdown.

     She ran to the front desk and started yelling, “Somebody help! My best friend was stabbed! Please help!”she didn't care if anyone saw her in the wreck she was. As the doctors came out and put Athena and Marcus on the gurney, Melissa let all of her emotions out. She tried to stay strong, but she couldn't take it anymore. Two innocent people were possibly going to die because of her selfish thoughts.

     She sat in the waiting room, more emotional than ever. She let Mark ruin all of their lives. He possibly killed Athena and Marcus. He drove Quise to insanity. He left her all alone.

     She continued crying until it seemed impossible to cry anymore. She heard some people run in. It was Athena's mother and father and Marcus' dad. Right behind them were Sean and Candy. She got up to talk to them. “Mr. and Mrs. Ross!”

     They looked over at her. They looked so emotionally broken. Melissa understood their pain. Just looking at Athena's parents, it made her cry even more. How would they feel if their daughter died? Her pain and suffering would never match theirs.

     “What happened?” Mrs. Ross asked.

     Melissa stood there. She didn't know what to do. This was all too much for her. She began crying again and Mrs. Ross pulled her into a hug to comfort her.

     She looked at Marcus' dad. He had a thuggish appearance to him, but his professional look threw it off. You could tell that he was tough but even a situation like this could break anyone.

     The doctor came out with a clipboard and looked at the adults. “Are you the parents?”

     They nodded their heads. Marcus's dad walked toward the doctor. “Are they okay?”

     “First I'm going to need you all to sign a few papers before we can discuss this.”

     “No offense sir but I don't give a fuck about some damn papers. Just tell me how my son doin'.”

     The doctor sighed and put the clip board down. “The boy is getting better. He's all stitched up and healing by the minute. I'd give him a couple of days before he can be discharged though.”

     Mrs. Ross walked towards the doctor with a worried look. “And our daughter? How is she?”

      The doctor stared at her in the eyes. He didn't know how to tell her the bad news from just his face. “She—she lost a lot of blood. We were able to stabilize her and as of now they are prepping her for a blood transfusion, but she's in a coma. No telling when she will wake up. Could be hours, days, and I'm not going to lie… possibly weeks.”

     Everyone looked at the doctor. It was truly heartbreaking to hear this. One of the world's most innocent people were gone. Mrs. Ross began crying. “Our daughter is dying! ”

     Mr. Ross pulled her into a hug and rubbed her back to comfort her. “We're going to be alright, Diana. Athena is a strong. She can pull out of this.”