Chapter 30: Disappearance

[Two days later, Athena POV]

I didn't know he was serious. The way he laughed afterwards you could've sworn he was playing. But as two days past, I knew something was up.

I waited at the table for Sean. He was still having to use the wheelchair, and Candy was happily pushing him around. As he rolled down the hallway tens of people smiled and wished him good luck.

Candy pushed him up to the table. He looked at her. "You know I can push myself right?"

Candy smiled at him. "Oh, I don't mind. I actually like being with you everywhere."

"You just like following to make sure I don't cheat." Sean laughed. "You know I won't do anything like that cause I love--"

"Hey? Can I ask you something Sean?" I blurted out. I was tired of waiting for him to finish his conversation.

Sean looked at me. I could tell that my random comment threw him off. "Yeah. Sure."

"Have you talked to Marcus? He's been missing for two days, he hasn't texted me back or even coming to school." I told him.

He shook his head and sighed. "Nah. I haven't talked to him the same amount of time. Well..."

"Well what? What happened?"

"Two nights ago, we was texting each other. He told me what happened." he looked at me in an awkward way. "And then he sends me a long message about how much he cared about you. But before I texted back he sent me this weird text. I just shrugged my shoulders and ignored it and texted him my response. And after that, no text message."

"Can I see the text message?" I asked him. Sean nodded his head yes and handed me his phone. I looked for Marcus's number and read the text message. " 'Helo me. teoublegg'."

"Doesn't make any sense right?" Sean told me.

I shook my head and thought about the text message. "Let's think about this. So obviously 'helo' isn't a word right? So maybe he was typing so fast that he missed an L or mistook an O for a P. So I'm pretty sure the next word is correct. So the last word. You can look at it and tell that it's supposed to be trouble. So the sentence could be either 'Help me. Trouble.' or 'Hello me. Trouble.'"

"So what does that mean? Marcus in some trouble? The nigga get in trouble every week, his daddy probably was just probably talking to him."

I shook my head in disagreement. "No. He wouldn't text like that then. People most of the time only add extra letters when they're typing quickly. Maybe something happened to Marcus, something bad."

"Mark." I yelled once I found out. They looked at me in confusion. I immediately got up and left the cafeteria. They followed me.

"Where you going?" Sean asked me as he was being pushed down the hallway.

"To Mark's house. He's related to this- I can feel it." I said as I pushed the entrance doors open.

I walked to my car and struggled to get the keys in the door. Sean stared at me. "So what chu gonna do? Just go up there and have a nice conversation with him? "

"I have to do this. He could be getting killed right now." I told him as I got in the car and buckled the seat belt.

Sean stared at me through the window. "Just don't get hurt. And if you get out and something is actually happening, call me."

I shook my head yes and turned the car on. I let out a sigh as this could be my last time seeing anyone.

Melissa