Chapter 9: French Fries

I woke up the next day. Yesterday was pretty boring- I couldn't talk to Melissa because she was still on punishment. I tried to call Marquis and see if everything was alright but I got no response.

I did the same thing I did every morning. I took my shower then got ready before going downstairs to talk to my mom.

She was sitting on the couch watching the news. “Hey Thena. What's the gossip for today? ”

I cracked a smile.“Nothing really today but-” my phone vibrated. I had a text from “Big Daddy ”. The message said hey boo. I looked around the room and texted them back, who is this. It took a couple minutes but they texted back. Marcus.

I rolled my eyes and put my phone back in my pocket. My mom stared at me and asked me. “Who is it Thena”

“This guy at my school who is always messing with me. ” I told her. I flopped down on the couch and changed the channel.

“Well maybe he likes you. You should give him a chance.” She told me. I gave her a hug and she sighed, “Well off to work. ”

I smiled at her. “Bye momma. I love you. ” she told me she loved me back and left.

I looked at my phone and began pondering. I thought about whether I should give Marcus a chance. Then I started thinking about how Chad would feel about this. I decided to stay friends with him because I knew Melissa liked him.

I stared at his number. I decided to text him back when he called. I put the phone up to my ear slowly when I answered. I was nervous because this was the first time I wanted to talk to him. “Hello?

He laughed. Even now, he sounded cocky. “Dang I got chu like that, huh?”

I got irritated. “Bye Marcus. ” I started to hang my phone up.

He got shocked. “No! Don't hang up! ”

I stared at my phone. I was surprised that he had apologized go me. I smiled. “Did you just say you're sorry?”

“Yeah... ” he uttered. I told him it was okay and he could talk to me now. He was really quiet like he was hesitating to say something. “Can I, um, take you out?”

I looked around. It seemed like this was moving a little too fast, but maybe that's because I haven't dated in so long “Yeah.. Where?”

He let out a small laugh. “It's gone be a surprise. ” I walked out the house. I didn't feel comfortable talking while I was walking by myself so I told him I'll see him later. “Okay bye. I'll pick you up at around 7.”I told him okay and hung up.

I was thinking about our date all day. Melissa called me stupid for even talking to him, but I didn't pay her much attention. Chad seemed a little distant today; maybe Melissa told him about our date and put him in his feelings. I didn't care because I didn't feel that way towards him.

I went home quickly after school. I knew it was going to take me a long time to get ready so I sat my homework aside for now. I made sure that I smelled as good as I could.

It took me a long time to find a good outfit. I wasn't sure where we were going so I didn't know how to dress. I decided to wear this new dress my mom and I went shopping for last weekend. It was purple,-which was my favorite color- tight, and stopped just a little after my knees. I curled my hair which added some time. When I was finally done it was getting close to 7. I decided to sit on the porch until Marcus pulled up. It took so long that I thought he ditched me until his car pulled up.

He got out of his car. He was dressed fancy, so I guess I had the right idea of how to dress,“Sorry I was late. Traffic. ” he looked me up and down, “You looking by cute. Let's go. ”