Chapter 25: Shoes And Shootouts

Quise drove furiously home. He and Melissa went to an Olive garden afterwards but the night was ruined. Melissa tried to communicate with him but he wasn't in a celebratory mood anymore.

Now in the car, it was more quiet than ever before. The radio was turned off and the only sound you could hear is the wind being whipped as the cars drove past each other.

Melissa sighed. "You okay Quise? You haven't talked all night."

Quise ignored her. Not on purpose nevertheless. He was phased out. He was recalling everything that has ever happened between him and Marcus. Things such as tonight, or the countless times he embarrassed him in public. Even back when he and Athena were together and she hated him. And every time, Marcus came out on top, the winner. Marcus seemed to think that he was better than Quise.

Quise pulled up to the house and stopped the car. He didn't pull completely into the garage. Melissa knew he was in his feelings by the way his silent face looked. They sat in the car for a few minutes until Quise finally lost it. He began hitting the steering wheel violently. He yelled, "I want his ass dead!"

Melissa gasped. She had never saw Quise emotional before. She touched his thigh and tried to comfort him. "Look baby, you ain't gotta worry bout Marcus. He ain't-"

He snapped his head around."Ain't what? He always been better than me at any fucking thing! He stole my quarterback spot on the team! He constantly embarrassed me for sticking up Athena when we was together! Beating me up... I'm just fucking tired of his ass!"

"Look I understand. But before you do anything crazy, remember this...." she rubbed her stomach.

He sighed, feeling his anger go away slowly. "I'm just hate his ass so much."

"And I hate Thena so much. " she laughed. "But you gotta remember that we're about to have a child soon and I don't want them to have to grow up without a father."

He kissed Melissa on the cheek. "Thanks. " They both motioned to open the car door when something crossed Quise's mind. "So you really hate Athena now? "

Melissa sat there. There was a place in her heart where she felt incomplete without her. Athena and Melissa were like sisters. She shook her head. "I don't know. I feel like I should but... I feel like I miss her too."

"Yeah. I know how you feel. I still miss her myself. "

"But it's too late now. Everything has been said and done. She deserved it anyways."

It was quiet again. They finally got out of the car and walked into Mark's house. He had a few of his friends over so Quise and Melissa tried not to be seen when walking in. Melissa looked through the railing of the stairs. Mark had two girls wrapped around his waist, both of who looked around her age. Melissa shook her head and walked up the stairs.

Quise went into the shower. He turned the steaming water on and walked in. This was the only time he felt like he didn't have to worry about his problems. Like they all just melted away.