Chapter 6: Locked up

Who likes food: food is amazingly epic *burp* XD Just had some myself!! So COMMENT and vote if you likey this bookey, if you don't like it, or if you think reading books is awesome!!

Chapter 6:

With narrowed eyes and bunched fists my Grandma approached me, stopping a few metres away to look at me with utter distaste. I know she’s my Grandma but she’s also a bitch.

She parted her thin lips and sucked in a long, skeletal breath before letting it out in a venomous hiss. “What’d ya think you’re doin’ girl?” I opened my mouth to speak but my Grandma bet me to it. Again. “Get inside now! I’ll be 'aving a word with ya. Now go!”

Brushing past her I sent her a sour glower, which she returned with a equal virulence. I’m sure she’ll end up blaming me somehow even though I have to no motive for stealing her horses or wanting to free them into the wild for that matter.

The inside welcomed me in a soft halo of warmth and light which I gladly accepted taking a deep shuddering breath while I was at it. Sitting myself down on a chair I strained my ears for the sounds of the horse being put away and the footsteps of my Grandma.

She came back soon enough, her hair was slightly wind swept and frizzy creating a static aura about her, adding to her intimidating figure by the wrath brewing luridly in two pools of green. She looked scary to say the least.

“You girl! How dare ya? I give ya shelter an’ food an’ what’d I get? Betrayal.” She sneered the last word, laced thick with a murderous edge and an air of drama. Wow.

Without any warning she grabbed me by the arm, daring me to resist. Who in their right mind would want to mess with an old lady who seemed to be loosing her bloody mind and believing herself to be in some kind of sopa opera? So as you might have guessed I stayed silent, and without kicking or biting or scratching I was locked in my room with a swift click of the lock.

Oh Grammy, I love you too.

It was an hour or two later when the sounds of a car parking and footsteps approaching had wafted up to my room. My stomach lurched and growled with conviction, basically it was screaming: FEED ME! 

Sighing I pushed against the abominable piece of wood which was in between my food and me. It was another couple of hours later that I decided enough was enough, I took a few steps backwards then charged at the door. My brain gone to mush with boredom and hunger. 

Before I could even touch it, the door flew open to show me a very startled looking ranch hand holding a plate full of food and a glass of water. At the sight of food I cracked a watery smile which seemed to reassure the ranch hand that I wasn’t rabid or losing my marbles. Wow food deprivation makes me pathetic huh?

“Do you want any food?” I nodded vigorously, licking my lips in a crazed manner while my stomach growled again. The ranch hand chuckled warily as he handed me my food then closed the door taking a seat on the edge of my bed.

While scoffing down my food with fervor I looked at the ranch hand. He was very kind to the eyes what with a pair of two dazzling, steely blue eyes and soft blonde hair that had a roguish look to it. Like the other ranch hands he was toned and tan from all the hours spent doing farm work outside. Too bad he was a sexist sheep.

I hadn’t even realized I had finished eating my food till he had spoken. “Say, do you want any more?” I shook my head, I was actually quite full, a large burp confirming it. He smiled a little again. “My name’s Nick and you're Rayne, right? Seth’s new mission?” I scowled at the mention of that asshole's name and scrunched up my nose further at the title.

“Erm… well my name is Rayne. Nice to me meet you Nick, kind of.” . Crap I didn’t mean to say the last part out loud. Mentally slapping a hand to my forehead I looked at my shoes, shaking my head at myself. God, at least pretend to be civil.

“Thanks? I better go now, but it was nice meeting you too, sort of.” He cocked his head as his lips pulled into a wry smile. He held out his hand in peace and smiling slightly I shook it, my eyes double taking at the raw scratch, lewdly bright amidst our little peace-making. 

“What happened to your hand?”  The length of his hand was clawed a bloody red. Nick smiled grimly prior to pulling away.

“Karris. You know the sheep dog? He got a bit carried away is all. Someone else will be here to get your plates I have to do a job.” The door slammed shut in his abrupt depature, and I was left alone with my thoughts. Fun.

The door opened just a few minutes later, the heavy thud of boots warning me of the appearance of Zack. His bronze hair glinted in the light of the lamp while his chocolate brown eyes looked at me with disinterest.  His lips quirked into a forced smile as he took my plate.

Instead of looking at his mocking face I looked down at his hand. A recent cut decorated one of his hands, blood dried at the edges.

“How did you get that?” Zack looked down at his hand before taking my plate and yanking his hand out of sight.

“None of your business.” He left with a sneer, the door banging shut from the force. Sheesh, if he didn’t want to tell me then fine. Now I know of two people with cuts at the backs of their hands but I’m not even sure if my scratch had left a mark, and if they were involved in the atempted felony why hadn't they hidden their wounds better? I glanced at my nails, filing them against each other.

Thoughts were still criss-crossing haphazardly through my mind when the door opened again. I didn’t bother to look up as this odd feeling of knowing it was him brushed over me.

A soft thud resonated around the room as the door shut behind him. I sat quite still, sitting with my legs folded underneath on my bed. The bed dipped as Seth sat at the edge of it, letting out a brief sigh as he did so.

“How did you get caught in the middle of stealing a horse?” I looked up half-horrified, half-incredulous before settling blankly.

“I wanted a fucking joy ride, didn't realise my Grandma had ninja-senses." I deadpanned. He raised a brow not taking the bait. I sighed. "I was trying to stop someone from stealing it and…” My words faded as he eyes sharpened, his intense gaze wriggling through my thoughts.

“Oh.” It was one syllable, but somehow it caused a coil of emotions to unfurl within me. What does he know? “Too bad your Grandma doesn’t believe you though.”

“Well, what does she believe then?” When he didn’t reply I poked his shoulder, changing tactics. “Why are you here?” There was pause before he finally spoke looking me dead in the eyes.

“I’m here to apologize.” I blinked. He what?