Chapter 31: The Human Sandwich

I know this is really inconsistent but... TA DA!

*silence*

*Scoff* This is all your faullt! *Glares at the elephant across the room* XD

Please: VOTE (?) COMMENT (!) Fan (:D)

Recap:

I let a shaky breath out through my cracked lips as I looked at the ranch, dark and no less welcoming then the alley way that I had dragged myself out of. The ranch house looked abandoned, haunted and suddenly I really didn’t want to go back inside.

 A hand clasped mine, our fingers intertwining as Seth squeezed gently.

Inside we felt through the hallways till we got to Seth’s room, where he slowly pushed open the door and let us both in.

Flicking on the bedside lamp he disappeared into the bathroom. I could hear the showering running minutes later as I padded across to the small, twin sized bed. Shedding my shoes in a corner next to Seth’s work boots I flumped onto the bed, curling up into myself.

I’m alive.

I’m breathing.

I’m not dead.

For now.

And only then did I let the tears drop.

(I'll only be doing recaps if there has been a large time gap between my previous post!)

Chapter 31:

The brush of callused fingertips against my forehead had my eyes briefly fluttering open. My eyes felt dry and irritable, the roof my mouth chafing against my tongue. I fought the urge to drift back into the black abyss from whence I had emerged from and instead chose to focus on the figure propped up on his elbow next to me.

Two blue eyes wandered my face as Seth’s fingers brushed aside my hair. His bronze bare torso gleamed in the morning sunlight, emanating a comforting heat as Seth bundled me up in his arms, my head burrowing into him, taking deep mouthfuls of his sweet musky scent. Pulling back, Seth spoke softly.

“Damn it, Rayne, you sacred the hell outta me last night.” His eyes softened and his grip on my hips tightened as pulled me closer. His lips brushed my forehead, my eyelids, my nose, my cheeks, my jaw, down the slope of my throat to my collar bone then back up pausing millimetres before my lips. I refused to look him in the eyes, fearing I’ll see pity and or something else that I can’t quite face yet.

Tears pooled in my eyes and I turned my head aside, burrowing into the reassuring warmth of the crook of his neck.

“I’m sorry.” My voice cracked, a woeful scratchy sound crawling from the base of my throat, wheezing out through my lips. I don’t know what I was sorry about, I was just truly sorry.

Seth’s hands caressed my back with soothing circles drawn with infinite care, the heat from his fingertips seeped through my thin t-shirt and grazed against my spine. I shivered as tears ran down my cheeks in gushing rivulets of suppressed agony.

We stayed like that for what felt like hours. The sun warmed to a deep amber outside, a honey like yellow seeped through the windows, dimming and brightening from the passing of clouds overhead.