Chapter 29: Sneaking out

Notey: OKay, okay this is REALLY late. I'm sorry I was reawy busy...and lazy...but let's not forget BUSY! I know a lot of you guys are going to be mad but I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO UPLOAD FOR A MONTH! Please PLEASE hold on till then! *puppy dog eyes* I've TRIED to make it long-ish...maybe....

VOTE? COMMENT! FAN?! Plwse?

Chapter 29:

Cold. Cold air.

Those were my initial thoughts as my body jerked and hiccupped in the red truck, the sunset setting in a distressingly languid motion. Weak strands of sunlight meekly broke through bands of the deep blue sky, timid oranges ensconced within drapes of a thick musty sapphire. The shades differentiated when I looked through the scratched glass of the window or the through the slice of open air from the open window.

I sighed. A heavy, fatigued sigh which had the driver turning his head towards me. Between intermittent rays of the soft fading sunshine I could just make out the sharp and gentle strokes of angular cheekbones, tempting silken lips, fathomless cobalt blue eyes, a strong aquiline jaw, and velvety dark locks falling mischievously in a roguish array. Seth.

Clutching the note between my dry hands I felt more than heard the crackle, crisp and clean, old and reassuring. The edges were torn and frayed, inky scrawls tracing the back like spidery veins. Mr. Shoeshine huh? A smile swept across my lips, a gentle flutter against my warm skin, something so quick it was easy to miss. But of course Seth wouldn’t, couldn’t miss that. That boy is too damn observant for his own good…

“What are you smiling at?” I barely caught the curve of his eyebrow as he raised one in question.

“Nothing.” His eyebrow rose higher then lapsed back down, drawing towards its other companion in a frown when I didn’t respond.

“Care to tell me why you woke me up in the middle of the night saying you need me to drive you to town. To the Saloon?! Please don’t tell me all this,” he waved one hand in a forthright flourish. “Has driven you to do something crazy because-“

The sound of my hushed laugh drowned out his fierce words and a smile rose on his lips. Desperately trying to quell the fond smile he turned to look straight at the road, the distinct outline of the town was just discernable in the foreground. 

“It seems you aren’t the only one capable of making-“ I stopped, my mind flickered through the words written in the note. Don’t trust easy. No one’s playing fair in this game. No one? Not even Seth?

I looked over at him, careful to keep my face impassive. My blank mask dissolved as I took notice of the gentle crease between his brows. He’s worried, about me? Shaking my head to clear my thoughts, I decided to focus my gaze down onto the note wrapped up in my fidgeting hands.

“I’m going to meet someone.”

“Oh?” I remained silent, absorbing the palpable undercurrent of jealousy ringing clear through just one word. “Fine.” The grunt of irritation had my head snapping over to Seth again.